Stardock

Any HP desktop or laptop owners around here?

HP owners who tried to install retail windows that we can buy in stores like bestbuy...

By on October 25, 2010 9:59:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Agent_Noob_...

Join Date 04/2008

sorry to ask this question here but i hate to ask this on HP.com because they just might say buy a recovery disk from us... lol

did any of you guys tried to install a retail version of windows and successfully installed it?

i have a HP laptop and i want to try to replace the preloaded vista with a windows 7... honestly, i have no idea if it is possible to install a retail version that we can buy in stores like bestbuy to any hp products. anyone got an idea or past experience they can share for that matter? thanks in advance...

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 25, 2010 11:15:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You shouldn't have any problem. My HP laptop came with Vista 64bit, when 7 came out I got the upgrade (student discount FTW!) and upgraded just fine.

October 25, 2010 3:56:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same here.  I do clean installs and the 7 install went fine.

Keep your wireless/network drivers on a handy USB drive just in case.

October 26, 2010 12:08:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've done it on 3 machines.  Just go to their website first and make sure you download all of the drivers for your machine.

Most of them can be found here on your machine 

C:\SwSetup

After having the drivers - doing a  clean install should do the trick - anything that does not load properly use the drivers to fix.

November 1, 2010 7:58:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

i see... thanks for the info and tips guys... i'm going to try it soon... lol

November 1, 2010 11:09:53 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Same here, had 2 HP laptops and put Windows 7 on both. Worked just fine.

November 20, 2010 5:44:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hell yeah... i thank all of you guys... i did however encountered a problem with my bluetooth driver but it was all fixed now...

thanks again. (",)

my only problem left is replacing my very old and almost dead battery... it seems hp doesn't ship dv8280us batteries anymore and i'm still having doubts about those batteries in amazon. they seem to be made by 3rd party companies and not by HP(or where HP gets it from).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+