Stardock.com ‚Äč

A Game of Thrones: Genesis

For all you "A Song of Ice and Fire." fans out there.

By on July 23, 2010 10:28:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+153

For all you "A Song of Ice and Fire." fans out there's a new game coming out. I never read the books, but I might play the game.

Check it out HERE .

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 23, 2010 10:37:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cyanide making it?

Urrggg... not sure how to feel about that honestly.  And no idea what kind of strategy it's going to be.  Anyone?

July 23, 2010 10:55:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It will be an RTS. More infos:

http://www.focus-home.com/index.php?rub=news&id=100

"A Game of Thrones: Genesis" plunges you into the heart of the battles and intrigues between the Families that shaped the Kingdom of Westeros.
However, victory does not necessarily result from brute force. The innovative game mechanics provide players with numerous paths to success: will you opt for a military, economic or diplomatic approach? Trickery, treachery and deceit are widespread and you will constantly have to watch your back if you want to avoid a bitter defeat!

Peacefully or forcefully annex surrounding territories, besiege enemy castles, send spies to infiltrate behind enemy lines, assassinate trouble-making officers or capture them to ask for a ransom... When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground!

Hm...sounds interesting.

July 23, 2010 11:18:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im sure someone will make a 'Game of Thrones' mod for elemental.  Wonder which will be better? (something tells me the mod for elemental will be....)

July 23, 2010 12:09:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds like some kind of TW thing then, so I guess I will pass.

In any case, I don't really think that the books lend themselves that well to fantasy strat gaming in the first place.  Only one race and no magic kind of make the game start out feeling rather bland from the options stand point.

Some one is going to try to cash in on the IP though, I was expecting more of an RPG or even FPS type of thing, at least that was the kind of game that seemed to make the most sense to me, even if they are not the kinds of games I particularly enjoy.

Also, Cyanide really doesn't inspire that much confidence in my book, but they do make games which look fantastic.

July 23, 2010 12:39:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A Total War or Crusader Kings style strategy game is really the best choice because in the books the main focus is the power struggle between the different factions and there's always lots of scheming and backstabbing going on.

July 23, 2010 12:49:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh I am sure it will be worth a look as time goes on.. I also suspect that unless they really blow the lid of new and innovative features that a good mod for elemental will be better .

July 23, 2010 4:10:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great books, just reading one currently.

A mod for elemental is the way to go. As well the upcoming TV series will hopefully not be trash..

As for the game I will pass.

July 24, 2010 5:06:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very little info still. Cyanide has made some very good (imo) management games (rugby, cycling), and some real rubbish (Loki).

I don't know what to expect of this one.

The world is interesting, though. There is very little magic, but there is some: Undead in the North, Dragons, Magic assassinations (Fire magic).

I love the setting.

The game should focus on backstabbing diplomacy along with battles, and underhanded manipulation and intrigue to be true to the books. Battles are rather secondary, as a good (or bad) marriage can lead to a good assassination and ruin successful wars in a pinch.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+