Stardock

Fences Problem

By on April 11, 2010 8:12:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

WinMonster2

Join Date 02/2006
+44

The Problem is I have seen it on the forums before and I have found no answer to the problem either from other users or from a Stardock Representative .

The Problem = When Fences are enables either hidden or visible. Windows explorer will stop working when a new icon is created,when a icon is renamed on the desktop.

When Fences is disabled the problem goes away.

I am using Fences Pro Version 1.00.4275

I am using

Windows 7 Pro x64

4GB Ram

Nvidia 8500GT Video Card

I have these apps running all the time

Window Blinds 7

Fences Pro

Object Dock 2

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 12, 2010 10:10:22 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

what are you using for antivirus?  i think i have seen some posts where explorer tanks when fences is on and changes occurs on the desktop.  similar to this.  you may try disabling the AV and seeing if you can create new icons on the desktop.

April 12, 2010 4:46:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I will give it a try

April 13, 2010 5:54:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have tried this problem still exists for me when disabling my anti virus software

April 14, 2010 9:48:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Try verifying Fences through Impulse by right-clicking on the entry for Fences Pro and clicking "Verify Installation".

April 14, 2010 5:48:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I did this and it said it was installed correctly

April 19, 2010 10:08:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We will try to repro this and get back with you.

April 25, 2010 1:50:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am not sure if this makes a difference but I have the UAC turned off

May 3, 2010 12:10:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DITTO! Two recently purchased (11/2009 & after) computers, both with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (an HP Pavilion desktop, and an Acer laptop), with Fences just installed, and both keep having the Windows Explorer has stopped working dialog. Each with very different software on board.

On the laptop, it shows up as:  occurs when online games with ORB (JewelQuest) is run, and recurs several times, before then allowing the game to proceed. Does not occur after game has started. Recurs when exiting game back into ORB game browser.

On the desktop, it shows up as: 

1) at first it just seemed to randomly happen, making it difficult to identify any specific problem...so of course, new programs became suspect.

2) this morning, rebooted just to get everything back to cool...error message repeated three times before allowing me to do anything, and after the 3rd message resolving, an additional message popped up that Fences had detected Windows Explorer had not shut down properly and Fences had been disabled (by Fences). So of course, I rebooted again, and the same thing happened. Based on the Fences dialog instructions telling how to reenable Fences (right-click the desktop and select Enable Fences), I reenabled Fences and the problem started all over again...3 error messages followed by a Fences disabled message.

I hope resolving this is expedited, if not I'll be forced to uninstall both copies. It's a great program and very helpful at times when tons of shortcuts are hitting my desktop...but of course, only without such problems.

Right now, Fences is running and the problem is momentarily resolved (or gives the illusion it is resolved LOL).

Doug

May 6, 2010 10:45:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you haven't already, send us an email at support@stardock.com referencing this thread.

May 19, 2010 11:04:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am having the same problem using Fences Pro with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and 4 gig of memory on an HP TouchSmart laptop.  When I initiate  Fences, Windows Explorer stops working, then goes through three WE restarts, and Fences sends a message saying that due to the failur of WE, it cannot initiate.  I sent the requested files to support.  Also did not work with Norton 360 V4 disabled.

May 30, 2010 6:21:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have tried all the suggestions given in the numerous posts on this subject and nothing worked but, yesterday I found a way to correct this problem through trial and error since working with Support has gotten me no where on this problem.

Steps I took to fix this Problem

1. Open Fences configuration window choose tools at the bottom choose more tools and uncheck enable fences.

2. Go to Start Menu find the fences icon and right click and choose run as administrator

This seems to correct the problem on my system 

I don't know why this is necessary since my user name is set to administrator.

I had to follow these steps after restart.

This Problem has cleared up with the latest update, I seen there was a new update to fences pro so I thought I would try and reinstall it and see if this problem was fixed even though it was listed under the fixed items. but, I have not had this problem since the new update came out.

September 19, 2011 1:34:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been having the same problem on my HP TouchSmart desktop and nothing Stardock has sent me has corrected the problem.  I keep taking Fences Pro off and putting it back on every few months with the same result.  Did you ever get it to work.  Thank you, Jim

January 18, 2012 8:19:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Post withdrawn. Will attempt contacting support again.

January 19, 2012 10:24:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting rmorum,
Some solutions work  temporarily - then  the whole @@!##$% problem starts all over again. I found the solution finally - UNINSTALL 'FENCES' AND FORGET ABOUT IT!!!! I have installed - reinstalled tried every option but nothing works in the long term. Very dissapointing for a program I have paid for - shoddy performance Stardock!!!! let me know when I can get value for my money -- I wasted an enormous amount of my vauluable time on this !!@#$%!!!!

I'm not seeing any support tickets from you about this.  Did you contact support@stardock.com at all?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000782   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+