Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Fences PRO Causing Explorer to fail and restart

By on April 3, 2010 2:50:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

TCooper01

Join Date 07/2009

After installing Fences PRO I wanted to rename an ICON that I had placed into a FENCE I right clicked the ICON and selected "Rename", the cursor was moved to the text area and I modified the name. I then selected an area outside the ICON to implement the modification. I then received a error message that Exloper stopped working, the Explorer restarted clearing all ICONS and apparently stopping Fences PRO on restart all ICONS display in there Windows 7 location for 2 or 3 seconds then Fences restarted and the ICONS appeared in the Fences but the ICON that was modified was re-located to the default new ICON fence. After this occured several times then something different started happening Explorer did not fail but the ICON disappeared.

Is this a known problem?

I cant seem to find an other references that are simuliar. I am a pretty vanilla system mostly MS office and a few card games.

Should I uninstall Fences Pro and request a re-fund?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium

64 bit E6550 2 gig

Anyone else experiencing same or simuliar issues?

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 1, 2010 9:53:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have had this problem also see Stardock Response here

http://forums.stardock.com/380097/page/1/#2603336

May 6, 2010 10:42:03 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If Impulse verifies that Fences is installed correctly, I recommend sending an email to support@stardock.com referencing this thread.

May 6, 2010 6:46:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Do you have anything else that would modify explorer, or any security apps running?

June 26, 2010 5:38:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The new update fixed this problem for me

June 27, 2010 1:14:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows explorer is now crashing sometimes on bootup for me now too. Even with this latest update. I restored an earlier disk image that had the previous fences version, and it still crashed. Seems to always crash when logging off and logging back on the same account in Win7 32bit.

I'm going to restore some older images and see what happens. I

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Explorer.EXE

Application Version: 6.1.7600.16450

Application Timestamp: 4aeba271

Fault Module Name: DesktopDock.dll

Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4c0d1163

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000654e7

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: ce96

Additional Information 2: ce965d0a7185dd4a6e41c1479be7d5c8

Additional Information 3: ceba

Additional Information 4: cebad3cbb01819f92b46c95f60b5242f

June 27, 2010 1:29:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I forgot to say I suspected the app Actual Windows Manager  and was going to test logging and booting with this disabled.

So with Actual Windows Manager disabled on startup, explorer has not crashed yet.

So if this is the problem, I can see Stardock blaming Actualtools, and Actualtools blaming Stardock. How can this be fixed?

June 27, 2010 3:54:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can fix it by adding a 30 second startup delay to AWM.

June 28, 2010 4:25:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting doctorwizz,
So if this is the problem, I can see Stardock blaming Actualtools, and Actualtools blaming Stardock. How can this be fixed?

Quoting doctorwizz,
I can fix it by adding a 30 second startup delay to AWM.

It's not so much which one is to blame, as most likely it's both.  It's like both programs are reaching for the same donut and getting there at the same time.  Because of this, the donut gets knocked on the floor.  It's not exactly anyone's fault, but that doesn't help the donut.

July 26, 2010 6:27:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I reinstalled Win7 with all the same software and there is no crashes or conflicts even with no delay. There was something wrong with that Win7 install.

August 6, 2010 1:15:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Wanted to see if any updates and keep this topic active.

I do not have AWM and I am getting exactly the same issues of Explorer having to restart whenever change it seems something on desktop and the 3 times thing when reboot. A more detailed description by many others is at http://forums.stardock.com/380097

I am not yet using pro just evaluating the non pro version, I like Fences but not the nuisance of all the Explorer restarts.

I am not going to do a Win 7 reinstall, its easier just to turn off Fences and never have the issue except when Fences running.

Since I don't have Pro I assume that is why there is no option in Impulse to verify program or what someone else suggseted on the other thread Impulse doesn't list Fences (or any) in My Software other than some "Free version available's."   Impulse to me is just a nuisance it seems needed to get updates,  but think I got it to stop nagging me. 

I am a serious business user, I have no time or interest in TV and have never played any game - but I like Fences to help organize -

I also have 5 Samsung monitors all 22-24" But the issue seems to be common with Win 7 (I'm using 64 bit). My desktop is all on one so don't think that is any issue.

I think I recognize Stardock from way way back in my OS2 days and like many of the ideas.  But I have no time or interest in having to a computer "geek" I just need things that work.

As I recall like 15-20? years ago I liked Stardock's things but never used due to all the problems getting it to work right.  Back then OS/2 was far better than the first Windows which as I recall was about the only option vs DOS with no graphic GUI before the 1st Windows which was terrible vs stable and much better OS/2. Times have a changed for us old guys.

December 12, 2011 6:57:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's not enough to say "it's broke."

if you want a quick resolution to your problem, tell them WHERE/HOW it broke;  they can at that point (at the very least) know where to look for their "epic-fail."

If you've installed ObjectDesktop like I did (Fences-PRO is part of the suite)  as you can see the issue relates to "C:\program files (x86)\stardock\fences\DesktopDock64.dll"

....or does it?

As I worked my way through the list of programs that came w/ ObjectDesktop, I came to "Deskscape 3"  ---- this seemed to work; uninstalling it SOLVED my problematic annoyance of having windows explorer crash/restart everytime I went to right-click or interact with my desktop.  Also as I uninstalled Deskscapes, I INSTALLED the "Impulse Dock," as an extra step (thinking maybe desktopdock64.dll was part of <that> install/program option.   Whether it was my first or latter steps that resolved the issue remains to be said ---- however, at this point in time it is as of now "fixed."

December 12, 2011 11:22:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Interesting.  And worth watching.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+