Stardock

Registration Key Information Not Provided In Auto-Email Responses

Impulse Client "Look up serial number" and esupport.stardock.com both fail to provide keys in the emails sent

By on February 17, 2010 4:00:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Aesir Rising

Join Date 12/2006
+31

Past couple of days I've been doing some impulse shopping (har har) and installing stuff on a rebuilt laptop of mine, and I've needed to look up account names, serial numbers for past purchases (to qualify for upgrade/discount pricing, etc.).  The automated email responses that (usually) send me a long email with everything I need are now missing the critical info... the serial numbers... for every product I've ever purchased through SDC and Impulse.

Example line item for one product for several email responses I've requested this past day or so:

Product Name  : Sins of a Solar Empire (Download + Retail Box)
User Name     :
Download      : http://www.impulsedriven.com/about.asp (Install Impulse AND use serial above)

Example line item for that same product taken from an old email (November) from the same auto-response system:

Product Name  : Sins of a Solar Empire (Download + Retail Box)
User Name     :
Download      : http://www.impulsedriven.com/about.asp (Install Impulse AND use serial above)
Serial number : xxxxx-xxxxx

Notice the Serial number field is missing from the recent (top) email response.  This is the case for all couple of dozen things I should see serial numbers for.  Repeated requests from the Impulse Client and the esupport link haven't netted any better results.  Something is wrong, I think.

[Edited to add: I was able to piece together account info and serial numbers for what I needed from old emails and whatnot.]

48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 17, 2010 6:57:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Serial numbers for products you've purchased (when needed) will actually be kept within your Impulse account for fraud prevention purposes.

If you need to access your serial number to any product you own, just launch Impulse ( http://impulsedriven.com/impulse_setup_full.exe ), click the question mark at the top right, and click "Register a product with Impulse." From here, you can right click any product and are able to copy your serial number (which you can then paste using Ctrl+V at any time.)

Mike

February 17, 2010 8:45:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Use the link here instead : http://www.stardock.com/support/

The impulse one is currently broken.

February 18, 2010 12:37:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I got the key I needed yesterday through my gmail archive where I found an older response from the system that had all the keys shown.  I was trying to get the ODNT subscriber discount for CursorFX Plus while placing the order on a laptop that didn't have Impulse installed.  So I used the web page form Neil linked then to get the ODNT serial...but the keys weren't in the email response.  Later, I moved to a system where I did have Impulse installed, and used the Impulse Client request - which Neil correctly points out doesn't work atm.

Neil, I tried that web form again at http://www.stardock.com/support/ after you posted and it has *some* keys shown in the response email.  Best I can tell, it only shows keys for Stardock developed products (e.g., ODNT stuff), plus Sins of a Solar Empire and Demigod (which are special cases, given the close ties between SD and those development teams).

But the email from the form on http://www.stardock.com/support/ does not have keys for any non-Stardock games, e.g., Civ 3, SupCom, The Witcher, Railroads!, and whatever else I've collected.  There is something wrong, because in that older email I had, there were definitely keys for those games, esp. The Witcher, which had two keys (one for the game, one of the CDProjekt Red website extras that weren't part of the original Stardock The Witcher download package).

This issue isn't critical to me now, as I mentioned I got the key, but something is wrong with the responder at http://www.stardock.com/support/ as well, since you (or I) only get Stardock product keys through that service.

February 18, 2010 4:46:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

it has *some* keys shown in the response email. Best I can tell, it only shows keys for Stardock developed products

Stardock published products, yep. 

does not have keys for any non-Stardock games...There is something wrong

Actually, this is as intended. Because of the way our contracts are set up with third party publishers, we really have to take any precaution we can ot deter fraud attempts. As I suggested, however, you can access your serial numbers through the question mark button at the top right of Impulse; just click "Register a product with Impulse."

Mike

February 20, 2010 10:20:30 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I didn't realize it was changed. I was basing the missing keys from the webform responder on what I'd seen in the past (all keys shown).  Thanks.

February 22, 2010 10:29:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In reality most serial numbers are not needed since Impulse will automatically install using them.  In instances where you need to enter the serial in-game or to register with a 3rd party publishers website, the serial should be sent.  If it's not, please e-mail support@stardock.com so we can get it sorted.

March 1, 2010 4:14:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ive just installed impulse and i dont have any keys stored in there,

i recently bought galatic civilizations 2 and i did not receive a serial number.

i have tried everything mentioned in this thread and contacted customer support yesterday, but no response so far.

March 1, 2010 5:26:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i have tried everything mentioned in this thread and contacted customer support yesterday, but no response so far.
Yesterday was Sunday, so you will be answered normal work time for Stardock time zone in order problems were sent.

In Impulse go to My Games and check the right click menu there for options which may help, also now at top of Impulse click activate product button and see if you can activate there for Stardock games I think your name and email used at purchase is enough to activate.

March 1, 2010 12:27:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nazdex,
i recently bought galatic civilizations 2 and i did not receive a serial number.

There are a few common things that can happen.  First, double check your spam folder to make sure it didn't get flagged by accident.  If it's not there, make sure you used the correct email address when you purchased it.  This happens a lot with PayPal, and if the game got registered to the wrong address, then you can merge your accounts together here:

http://www.stardock.com/support/registrations/

March 1, 2010 9:30:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Really you don't need one.  GalCiv 2 will be installed through Impulse, so just download and install it and log in with your Impulse account, or create a new account using the same e-mail you used to purchase.

April 1, 2010 12:46:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have an issue with the Settlers 7. It didn't allow me to download it or registure it automatically on my impulse and told me to wait for an email.

I have filed a support ticket but im wondering if this is some sort of glitch or if i did something wrong?

April 1, 2010 2:06:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The Settlers 7 registration is on your account so it should be automatically showing up in Impulse when you click the 'My Games' tab. If you are not seeing it still, please do the following within Impulse:

-Click the blue menu button in the upper left
-Choose 'Preferences...'
-Click the 'Reset Data' button
-Close impulse and relaunch it. You may notice a long update time, which is normal as it is rebuilding the deleted info.

Sign back in and click the 'My Games' tab to find the game.

April 1, 2010 6:22:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm having a similar issue, I formatted my pc and now Impulse is saying that I don't have any registered games when I bought Sins of a Solar Empire and the Entrenchment expansion about a month ago. The email response I get doesn't even mention Sins on it - any ideas anyone?

April 1, 2010 7:52:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm posting from Wincustomize so I'm not sure how it works on the other sites, but if you go to the top and click on My Account, then go to the Registrations tab, all your stuff should show up there. That's how I had to get access to OD+2, it had a different serial than my regular OD+, so I added the new one to my registrations in Impulse and it finally showed up for me.

April 7, 2010 9:47:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If your registrations do not appear automatically in Impulse, try closing Impulse and running the following file:

http://sd.stardock.com/curthendzell/fix_registrations.reg

Make sure to follow the link in Internet Explorer, as other web browsers will not handle the file type correctly.  Once you follow the link, save the file and double click it to apply it.  Then relaunch Impulse.  You will need to re-login with your username/e-mail (either will work) and password.

April 16, 2010 5:17:21 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nazdex,
ive just installed impulse and i dont have any keys stored in there,

I'm having a similar issue. I bought Mass Effect earlier tonight and never received an email about it, although my credit card has already been charged. I requested a Registration Key lookup and just received an email telling me that I have Impulse. Is there anything I can do at this point to fix this?

April 16, 2010 9:17:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

AhPook - Check reply #1 above to get your serial number.

April 16, 2010 10:05:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You should also be able to right click on the product from within the 'My Games' tab and choose 'View Registration'.

April 16, 2010 7:43:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Got my email this morning, I guess it just took som time for everything to process. Thanks for the help.

May 29, 2010 10:37:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi, I just bought Sins of a Solar Empire + Entrenchment. I received an email with the key to Entrenchment and then registered it so I see it in my games tab. I however did not receive an email for my Sins of a Solar Empire serial number. I don't have it in my games tab because I can't register it because I don't have a key. What do I do? I asked for them to give me all of my serial numbers and they never give Sins of a solar empire serial number, its always missing.

May 29, 2010 12:37:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

sumwar: It's registered to your account, so there's no problem on that side, and you shouldn't need your serial number to install the game.  Try closing Impulse and running the following file:

http://sd.stardock.com/curthendzell/fix_registrations.reg

Make sure to follow the link in Internet Explorer, as other web browsers will not handle the file type correctly.  Once you follow the link, save the file and double click it to apply it.  Then relaunch Impulse.  You will need to re-login with your username/e-mail (either will work) and password.

If you do need the serial number, though, once the game shows up in the 'My Games' list, you can right click on the game, and select 'View Registration'.

August 18, 2010 5:53:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have recently purchased Command and Conquer 4, installed and cannot find my registration key.  Tried everything in the this thread and have no solution. Whenever I get an email it has listed that I purchased the game and the serial field is blank.  

September 15, 2010 11:30:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm in the same boat as poster "o15o87" - the serial numbers that *both* the email support and Impulse keep giving me strange messages for my rejection - "old program serial number" is the most boggling, since I just renewed a very old subscription to Object Desktop and as far as I know I've never owned Deskscapes. I'm getting the same nonsense from some of the other OD programs. The majority were automatically activaed by Impulse - but several give me a pop-up to activate with email & serial. I've tried inputting both the serial from Impulse and from the spport email. No luck. This is my second day trying to activate.

September 16, 2010 9:11:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

upallnyte: Send an email to support@stardock.com and we'll take a look at your account.

October 14, 2010 4:48:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have tried all of these things. I still do not have settlers. Either the registration in my email, or the game showing up in impulse. Support sent me this BS link page that says:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Stardock\ComponentManager]

Some help....
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000813   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+