Stardock

Reverse engineer a Gadget ?

By on January 14, 2010 1:18:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

c242

Join Date 03/2001
+82

I am in search of some help. I made a gadget 2 years aga and I lost the DX object and the graphics for it. So my question now is : Is there any way to get the graphics out from a compiled DesktopX gadget ?

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 14, 2010 1:23:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sounds like a question for RedneckDude or sViz.

Let me put a link in the IRC and see if someone will respond.

January 14, 2010 1:47:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The graphics are easy to get, the scripts are a bit harder to extract, but not impossible (at least in part).

To get the graphics, just launch the gadget and let it run. Then open an explorer window and navigate to the TEMP folder (you can just input %temp% in the explorer input field and it will open the correct folder).

Now search for a folder name of this form: {CBB898CC-FA3B-4635-8B02-F665AF20694B} (the numbers will be different and unique to a single widget). Inside that folder, there should be an exe, and two child folders. The encrypted scripts and unencrypted images live in the AppData folder.

If you need help with the scripts, just PM me a link to the gadget and I'll send you back what can be salvaged from the gadget.

Edit: Ha! A 3 second lead

January 14, 2010 1:48:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try running the gadget and going to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp  (in Vista, similar in XP or 7) You'll have to look through numerous folders there for the one for the gadget (it will be some gibberish serial number looking thing) But it's easier if you sort by Date Accessed so the folder for the gadget you're running will be near the top. Also (in Vista) if you set the view so you can see what's inside the folder without opening it.

I did this for my SFO Sidekick gadget; ran the gadget, looked for its icon, and there it was. All my graphics, etc. in the folder.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Ah, ya beat me Littleboy.

January 15, 2010 1:05:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks, I knew it was extracting the graphics somewhere just couldn't figure out where. Again thanks for the help all three of You.  

For the scripts : I will have a look if I really need them and then eventually come back to You, Littleboy.

May 19, 2012 1:53:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure if this is what you was after, if you have the [name of gadget].gadget file

just rename it to [name of gadget].zip and you can access all files for the gadget.

May 19, 2012 2:33:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DirtyDonk,
Not sure if this is what you was after, if you have the [name of gadget].gadget file

just rename it to [name of gadget].zip and you can access all files for the gadget.

Nope. Won't work.

May 19, 2012 10:43:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I kind of don't want people to know how to reverse engineer a gadget....maybe if they deal directly with Stardock and show the gadget is their own IP maybe...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0004188   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+