Stardock.com ‚Äč

Dell Dock and ObjectDock Plus

By on December 27, 2009 3:13:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

SENTiNEL

Join Date 03/2001
+3

Lo guys 'n' gals,

Hope you all had a nice Christmas and you're looking forward to the New Year celebrataions.

Right, back on topic!

I've used ObjectDock Plus for some time now, but when I recently purchased a new Dell (XPS 430 for the curious amongst you) I was both pleasantly pleased to see a Dell Dock (hmmm....  Wonder where they got that from ) but confused that it has the wonderful ability when clicking on an icon, say 'Office', a smaller tab opens directly below and shows the individual office icons.

Is this something that I can do with the standard ObjectDock Plus or was it uniquely coded for the DellDock?  The only downside to DellDock is that I can move it to my secondary monitor, or is that possible too?

Cheers all

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 27, 2009 7:31:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can use the 'flyout option' in OD+, or you can use Impulse Dock to do pretty much the same thing....

Using Impulse Dock, you can create an identical effect, but it's not really skinnable.

There are lots of posts about creating fly-out menus:

Here's one to get you started: LINK 

December 27, 2009 8:16:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is there a doctor in the house?  Ah yes, there's one...

Thank you for the heads up, I'll have a look at that and give it a go, cheers Dr

December 27, 2009 8:38:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Same to you, SENTiNEL... report back and let us know how it went, ok? Happy Holidays!

December 28, 2009 3:52:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Same to you, SENTiNEL... report back and let us know how it went, ok? Happy Holidays!

Well, I had a look, and it's a step in the right direction, but not quite what I was looking for - is there a way to custom the flyout further i.e. replace the default scrolling style with a panel containing the icons?  I can see the scrolling affect being useful if you have a lot of images application to cycle through, but it's not necessary if you only have 4 or 5?

I'll try and take some screenshots of the DellDock in action to give a better idea of what I'm looking for, if that'll help?

December 28, 2009 5:56:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

As threatened, here's a couple of screenshots of the DellDock in action and the drop down affect I'm trying to replicate using OD+

December 28, 2009 6:12:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

SENTiNEL, Not with OD+. Not that I've see, anyway.

With Impulse Dock you get an effect very close to that, but you can't skin it....sorry, mate.

Maybe ask (pm) WebGizmos...he knows a heck of a lot more about OD than I do, and you could ask messiah1 who is also an OD skinner. Put in the url of this thread to help him see what you're asking about.

December 28, 2009 7:15:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

SENTiNEL, Not with OD+. Not that I've see, anyway.

Stardock designed Dell's dock about 2 years ago. Though similar to ObjectDock, they designed it with features unique to itself. One such feature is the "categories" to which you refer.

From what I gather, categories may be a feature in ObjectDock 2.0 when it comes out, but it is not currently available for OD 1.91.

Maybe ask (pm) WebGizmos...he knows a heck of a lot more about OD than I do, and you could ask messiah1 who is also an OD skinner.

I think you forgot someone, Doc...

December 28, 2009 8:19:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*Edit: I think I forgot someone. There's a fella named Mirsguy who 'occasionally' skins too. 

December 28, 2009 9:04:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh well, thanks all for the help, guess I'll keep an eye out for OD+ 2 and hope Stardock monitor these threads when they compile the list of new features

Oh, and using the Alpine skin for my OD+ docks at the mo as I got the awesome matching WB skin, or should that be the other way round?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+