Stardock

Fences - Backup Desktop Layout for New OS Install?

By on October 17, 2009 2:45:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

gsquared

Join Date 08/2005

Just wondering if there is any way to backupthe desktyop layout so that you can restore it after a full OS reinstall/upgrade. I have my desktop files/icons on a seperate drive so that I can restore/install/change my OS without affecting the stuff on the desktop. I want to check out Windows 7 but I don't see any way of transfering a desktop layout across OS! It is not clear where or how the desktop snapshots are stored <- this would seem the logical way but nothing seems to be stored in the Stardock/Fences folder!

Any ideas?

G^2

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 20, 2009 10:47:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi! There is... Fences' settings are stored in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Fences"

Also, snapshots are stored in the folder "%appdata%\Stardock\Fences"

October 29, 2009 4:03:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Don't really care about Fences "settings" - those are easy to adjust - its the fence layout and icon distribution that is tedious to re-create from a clean install/jumbled desktop of icons and files!

Hmm. Didn't think to look in that folder. So if I backup that folder and then recopy the XML files back in on a clean reinstall, my fences layout should be recoverable?

G^2

October 29, 2009 5:05:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi gsquared. Right, the settings for the Fences themselves are stored in either of those places. Unfortunatly the icons won't come with it - you'll need to load the icons back into the fences manually. However if you either (a) export that registry key and import it into your new computer before installing Fences (or import them and terminate / re-run explorer)... or ( Copy the snapshot XML/PNGs over, and load one of the snapshots on the new machine, then you'll get your Fence layouts back on the new machine. Good luck with it!

August 26, 2011 2:37:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was looking for a solution to the above problem and noticed that it wasn't here. I have now found the solution and thought I'd share. 

In windows 7 there is a user migration tool which picks up all of the settings/user information and transfers it to the new computer. Go to control panel and look for 'Transfer files from another computer'. The wizard is easy enough to follow. Worked for me!

Hope this helps someone. 

Cheers

JJ

July 24, 2013 3:57:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Here is the easy answer as of today...it works great!

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/381/115/how-do-i-use-snapshots-in-fences

If you want to move settings from one machine to another you can do that via the snapshot system.

Simply copy the snapshots from one machine to the other, then restore the snapshots

Snapshots are stored in the following directories:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Stardock\Fences\Backups Vista/7: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Stardock\Fences\Backups
You will need to replace USERNAME with your user account name on your PC.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+