Stardock

That's So Gamer

By on August 13, 2009 1:00:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fenhiro

Join Date 01/2009
+5
Anyone who has gone on gamespy today (8/13/09)or Gamerpolitics (not sure about spelling) will see controversial ad posters of a jock, a cheerleader and a gamer in the news letter (just scroll down on gamespy). the ads were a means to "HELP" prevent anti-gay remarks, namely the phrase "That's So Gay". Instead the poster ad depicting a gamer with the phrase "That's so games; who has more videogames than friends" has sparked controversy and anger among gamers...(me included). at first i was deeply offended, than i read article and found out why the morons (still a little emotional about it) made the rather offensive ads. but i'm still upset about it...not as much but still.
Locked Post 26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 13, 2009 1:27:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, in my case that poster is right. I have well over 100 games, but not nearly as many friends

August 13, 2009 1:29:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

thats so PC (politically correct, just in case)

August 13, 2009 1:32:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Completely agree. Well, not that I feel offended or upset by them, but how they aren't going to help one bit. If anything, I can imagine people more likely to go "those ads are so gay LOL" than to be any sort of a wakeup call.

These ads are about as effective as the "school is cool" type stuff way back when. It only made school less cool.

August 13, 2009 1:38:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

August 13, 2009 2:21:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hello my name is Ryat and I am a gamer

It started whne I was 8 years old on an Apple II GS. My father got me hooked. He to was a gamer and his father before him.  

It started innocently enough, I played a little while I watched my dad hack and destroy digital entities. After a while he got me my own PC and I began with my first bought game "Wing Commander". It went on and on to newer and better vidoe games. I invited my friends over but only a couple wanted to play. Soon I was on a 4 hour a day habit. I would go to school, come home, do my chores (otherwise I would be banned for vidoe games), and then played unitl dinner time.

Now I am up to 6 hours a day. I no longer watch TV and now my children watch me play vidoe games. My children will soon be gamers too.   Now all my friends play video games with me as well. I got them addicted.

And now *gets choked up* 'excuse me Im a bit emotional at this point'

And now.......

I WILL PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR 8 HOURS!!!!

gamers rule jocks drool!

August 13, 2009 3:34:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

gamers rule jocks drool!
Amen, brother(sister?)!

As for the ad, I think it's a rather clumsy attempt to stop a trend, that will most likely fail. If people want to stop homophobia, that's great, but they would be sooooo much more effective if they took on the purveyors of it: movies, TV, and politicans.

August 13, 2009 3:39:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh wow Ryat you must be around my age lol

Commodore 64 was my first taste of the addiction.  Im trying to get my 3 yr old son to start playing so i get more playtime.  Plus he thinks non-gamers are ghey.

Whoever is putting those ads out needs to listen to a little more Dan Savage and a lot less Janeane Garafalo. 

j

August 13, 2009 11:19:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ToJKa,
Well, in my case that poster is right. I have well over 100 games, but not nearly as many friends

wow. hardcorer gamer eh.

naah. i don't really mind that ad. didn't actually bother me from being a gamer.

August 13, 2009 11:40:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello my name is Ryat and I am a gamer

4 here...mario world three was what started for me. my mother got the NS for my cousin who didn't like videogames. So my uncle and i sto...commandeered it. I'm a gamer, all my buddies are gamers and the only parties we ever went to involve sit in front of a TV and playing games like Soulcaliber 2 or 3.

August 13, 2009 11:42:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Calling something 'gay' is a derivative of calling something queer - which in it's original context meant wrong, off beat, backwards, against the norm, etc. As the word queer eventually became the 'term' for homosexuals, when the word 'gay' replaced it the statement of 'That's queer' changed to 'That's gay'. Then combine it with the late and modern bastardisation of the english language, it became 'That's SO gay'.

Stating 'That's so Gamer' would liken whatever it is your labeling as 'gamer', in the correct useage which replicates the usuage of 'that's so gay', to an emerging trend and the most successful entertainment medium on the planet.

Now, to use a gamer term correctly I'd like to label their campaign as "ZOMGLOLROFLCOPTER EPIC FAILZ!111!!ELEVEN11!!!".

August 14, 2009 1:24:17 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

An article published found that over 100,000,000 million Americans play video games. That's about 33% of the U.S. population, compared to the population who is gay, which is probably around 3%. If you absolutely must offend or make something look bad, do it to the smaller number.

August 14, 2009 6:50:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the place I grew up "jock" was as bad if not worse than being called "gay".

Jock = very stupid

gay = strange

Which is worse to you?

August 14, 2009 7:02:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Real gamers would say ghey...

August 14, 2009 8:12:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah I saw that story, its good.

I mean gamer with more games than friends? If your a gamer you have more games than friends (those people on your bookface don't count).

"Thats so gamer." Then itss fine - go ahead. Use it. For example: "The helthcare reform bill is so gamer!" meaning "Split into multifaceted groups of people who hate each others ideas but hate the rest of you even more". Sounds about right.

"Thats so jock" - Dumbass pressed into doing something worthless with humiliation as the only alternative option. "Not having sex with a panda is so jock!"

"Its too cheerleader for me" - Asthetic, obvoius, no substance or reason other than for eye candy. Having a flimsy reason for existing. "The new desktop themes are so cheerleader, why don't they make something cool like a UFO Enemy Unknown one?"

Sounds good so far!

"That is so gay!" - Reversed, uninteded but no one cares and they do it anyway. Puting a round peg into the square wrong hole. (lol) "That patch is so gay! It totaly screwed my camping tactic and the devs don't care!"

Heres some more!

"That is so hetero" - Obvious, standard. boring. "I loaded up the new demo for Doom 5, it was totaly Hetero."

"That was just S&M" - Painful but good in the end. "I tried the game on my old computer, it was S&M TBH."

"It was too China" - Trendy, popular, the next big thing - but still massively flawed. "I bought myself a first gen SSD! Its China!"

Works for me.

August 14, 2009 12:11:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

aractain, i have three...four letters for you: LMAO

August 15, 2009 6:35:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Aractain - Worthy of karma that post was!

August 15, 2009 7:15:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Insulting gamers by saying that they have more games then friends is like insulting a person for having more DVDs and/or books then friends. Its idiotic and meaningless.

It is also an inconcievably boneheaded and stupid tactic to insult one group as a means to reduce hatred for another group.

Can you imagine a poster that is against anti-Semitism and tries to get its point across by humiliating Irish people? It is crude, insensitive, ineffective and ludicrous.

I can't believe that the person who came up with this poster has a job.

This poster is an epic fail of failtacular proportions.

August 15, 2009 2:51:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Spartan,

Jock = very stupid
gay = strange

Which is worse to you?

Hey, I'm a queer guy who believes people when they say they're bisexual. That makes me feel obliged to speak up for the smart gay jocks. I know they're out there...

I'd also like to take this opportunity to roundly condemn pretty much anything with the Ad Council logo on it as a fig-leaf-on-a-whale's-dick effort to cover the civic guilt of a huge gaggle of oh-so-prosperous Mad Ave types who's primary labor market value is their ability to successfully manipulate other people into doing or buying that which they otherwise would not do or buy. I'm especially offended by Ad Council crap when it truly is crap in their own terms. Sir, I remember This Is Your Brain On Drugs, and That's So Jock/Cheerleader/Gamer is no This Is Your Brain on Drugs.

August 15, 2009 4:41:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That makes me feel obliged to speak up for the smart gay jocks. I know they're out there...
Well, every jock I'bve ever met has been really, really homophobic..... and not that smart. Good luck looking, though......

August 15, 2009 6:30:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You guys might be surprised to hear this but I

Have a 3.9 GPA in college.

Have over 200 PC and 360 games.

Play DND and other tabletop RPG's.

HOWEVER, I play them with my Girlfriend (a nerd chick), was captain of my highschool football team, and lift weights.

Being a "nerd" or a "jock" is just a lame excuse to not see the other side because you are afraid. Open your mind, this "us vs them" philosophy is silly and backwards.

August 15, 2009 6:35:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jock = very stupid

gay = strange

I support this.    It wasn't true in my childhood, though Jock wasn't good either.

Back in the day, I used to hang around a gaming center and everytime somebody shouted "This is Gay" or similar, I'd respond from accross the room "HEY!   How do you know I'm not gay, and I just took offense.  Now I'm never coming out of the closet for fear of discrimination by the likes of you.  And I'm going to grow up very  misrable and unfullfilled eventually killing myself out of self doubt and depression"   (or something very similar to that)

August 16, 2009 6:16:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting endofdayz,
You guys might be surprised to hear this but I

Have a 3.9 GPA in college.

Have over 200 PC and 360 games.

Play DND and other tabletop RPG's.

HOWEVER, I play them with my Girlfriend (a nerd chick), was captain of my highschool football team, and lift weights.

Being a "nerd" or a "jock" is just a lame excuse to not see the other side because you are afraid. Open your mind, this "us vs them" philosophy is silly and backwards.

Us vs them mentality is how we grow. I hate free for all, team play is far superior. Coop is even better. I don't want to shoot my own team, so we need enemys but fundamentalist religous types don't play evil games you know. My enemy is the LARPer and the Nazi. (OMG, imagine a world where nazis and LARPers got together and put thier evil talents together to make LIVE ACTION NAZI ROLE PLAY? "YOO SHALL FEER ZE THIRD VIECH VANCE MAR!" "V3 BOLT!" Fortunatly Im sure there are a bunch of tommy ready to push back jerry once again!)

Also does having it off with a a non-human male make you gay?

September 10, 2009 4:45:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It just goes to show what it feels like to be singled out, your emotional response should have sparked some sort of empathy towards others but being that you'd rather be the pointer and not see whats wrong with that, then lesson here was a waste of time.

Humanity = Fail

September 11, 2009 1:31:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have plenty of empathy.  I have no sympathy though, so I'm not about to stop occasionally calling things gay.

I respect LGBT(?) peoples, but I really don't care what they think of how I talk.

April 3, 2010 3:41:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can I get a link to this controversial article? I cannot find it.

yes, yes ... Thread Necromancy, ect ... however Im beginning to think that its existence was a mild forgettable bleep amongst the mass stupidity of Media?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+