Stardock.com ‚Äč

Fences Backup

By on July 2, 2009 10:32:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

JHB50

Join Date 07/2009

I backup key files on my system so that in the event of failure, I can reinstall with my prior settings. My backup includes the Registry, and directories such as SendTo and Startup, and files such as Cookies and Favorites. I'd like to save my Fences layouts as well but cannot determine which files to backup... Fences is not in the Registry, and after saving a layout it seems that only C:\Windows\Prefetch\FENCES.EXE-E9250818.pf is updated. The other Fences files in C:\ProgramData\{067CEB81-A49B-4597-9505-A5515881D672}\ such as Fences.dat and Fences.par have not been modified.  Can you verify which files I should backup that could be restored to maintain my layouts?

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 2, 2009 10:43:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi JHB, you'll want to back up this registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Fences" in order to backup your Fences settings.

August 5, 2010 3:14:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you for letting us know which key to backup. Could you possibly elaborate on restoring our backup? Example, I'm transferring to a new computer. Do I reinstall Fences, then delete the new registry key, then add my backup/old key? Is there anything else we should know in this restore process? How do we add our old registry key to the new computer? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Cal

August 16, 2010 8:19:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've just done the backup/restore with the saved registry key.

All I did after reinstalling windows was install fences . Then double clicked on the saved registry key, let it say it had completed, restarted windows and it gave me back all my fence settings.

hth

March 30, 2014 12:36:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great information. Many thanks, for some reason in Windows 8.1 a couple times things started disappearing from FENCES. NOW I have it backed up. Many thanks again. ... Michael

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+