Stardock

Looking for an IconPackager Tutorial

By on August 20, 2008 11:44:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

harlita

Join Date 05/2006
Hello all

I am looking for a tutorial on how to use IconPackager in oder to make an IconPackage.  

I did not see one in this section although it's titled as such, so I'm making my first post here feeling quite silly.

I downloaded today, 16 .png files which are the Icons for the Vitrex WindowBlinds theme.   The download was not in IconPackager format, so I can't select to use them within the Theme Manager.

I launched up IconPackager, thinking this would be a good opportunity to learn how to use it only to find there was no help files, walkthrough and there wasn't anything that after several exploration attempts seemed to let me choose to create a new package, then select files and save them.

The "Build New Package" only seemed to let me try to change my Windows Default icons and that made it a bit more confusing.

If there is a tutorial or user-made walkthrough, would anyone please link me to it?  I want very much to learn how to do this and can learn on my own, but I've hit a brick wall and now need to ask for some direction.

Thank you kindly, in advance,
Harley
4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 21, 2008 12:08:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Mormegil's first Icon a Day tutorial covers this. Although it's for an earlier version of Icon Packager it's still relevant, is considered the best and it can be found here. WWW Link He is also starting a new series of articles that can be easily found on his web page which this link takes you to. As you get started on your work post your specific questions and get to know the other artists who've been doing this they'll be glad to help. Good luck.
August 21, 2008 12:17:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I was looking at those, but they seemed to be for creating icons, not the packages. Does it go into creating the package itself in the later posts?

I'll go check out the later ones in case it does. Thanks BigDogBigFeet
August 21, 2008 12:49:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Okay, I'll try again temporary connection issue. Ya there is. It's on the bottom of the page in the first link which will take you here. WWW Link

You have to create ico files from your png graphics files to have an icon. Icon Developer from Stardock is used for that purpose. Once this is done bundle them up in a zip file and you have an Icon Package. The numbers used in naming your icons are used by Icon Packager to sort out which icon goes where.

Icon Developer will allow you to batch process all your icons at one time making the process easy. Check out the Tutorial.
August 21, 2008 1:41:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I thought I would add that although this tutorial seems to be about just creating individual icons it really does alot more than that. First it gives you a complete view of a full Windows XP Icon Package. Second after it walks you through the steps of creating all the needed icons for a full package it then shows you how to make the graphics files you've created into icons. And then bundling it all up into a complete package. It is the complete tutorial on the subject.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+