Stardock

IconPackager won't replace small folder icons

By on August 19, 2008 1:37:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

FreeUser0800

Join Date 01/2007
Hey All,

IconPacker will replace the small folder icons if I view them via My Computer, as seen below:

However, if I view the folders through a 'prompt for file location' box (such as File>Open or File>Save), the folders remain the old WindowsXP default.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks for your time!
25 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 19, 2008 8:19:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
This happens to me too, I think it might be a limitation of IP? Sometimes they're skinned, sometimes not.
September 12, 2008 1:50:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bump.......

September 12, 2008 3:35:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have noticed that IconPackager does not always (or not at all?) replace the registry entries, where file types and their icons are stored (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). So, some programs or routines ignore the IP override but take the icon information directly from the registry. Those are file open/close dialogs, and Total Commander for example also displays the standard folder icons.

A total mess you get if you let software like IrfanView set the icons for image file types. IrfanView goes into HCR and links every file type to its icon. That overrides partly IconPackager-settings.

Right now I have the Cosmos-IP-packages applied. PDFs and AVIs are not correct: Windows explorer shows the correct icon, but Total Commander shows a completely different icon, the one that is stored in HCR (which is - funny enough - NOT the default PDF icon).

September 13, 2008 6:05:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well I don't use IfranView or Total Commander, so do you know where the open/close dialog strings are in the HCR tree?

November 14, 2008 9:43:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have the same problem and I clicked every single button in IP tryin to fix it but it didn't work out

It used to be fixed for me but every time I reinstall IP the same problem occured, this time, I'm fed up to wait for God to do it

it's just a lil snag I wish I could find the way to solve it myself...

Can anyone help???

August 6, 2009 8:01:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the same problem,too.I check the forum but i can't find anything usefull.My English is bad and it makes everything worst!

[URL=http://img195.imageshack.us/i/adszrer.jpg/][/URL]

I enter every folder in my partition D and by using right click i change all of them by myself.D folders are all correct now!

[URL=http://img35.imageshack.us/i/adsz2gpx.jpg/][/URL]

But i can't do that for every partition C folder.So they are not working.Desktop items ,sharing folders and all windows folders are not correct for using "save as" like told.I tried format nothing change.Waiting for help,thanks...

IconPackager 4.21 release

November 2, 2009 12:49:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think iconpackager is a little to difficult for stardock to implement in any professional manner.

Better to charge for a 50% to 70% working product than to provide nothing I guess.

November 2, 2009 8:56:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

borednomore.......this is the Support forum. Unlsess you have something usefull to add related to the OP please move on.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/328594

November 2, 2009 4:21:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

k  What is "OP" please ?

November 2, 2009 6:30:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OP - Original Post.

November 5, 2009 1:58:38 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I searched around a bit...

There is a way to change it, however i warn you before hand:

-It can take a long time to do.

-You can srew up your original icon cache. BACK UP PLEASE!!!!

- only works on 32bit OS for the moment.

The program its called Reshack. http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

This is where it gets tricky, you need to search for the right resource. Start of with shell32.dll. Open it with reshack and in the left you will see a bunch of folders. Open the "Icon" tree, you will see lots of numbers. Now starting at the top, open the first number, there should be a file called "1033". I f you click an that an icon should appear on the main screen. Now navigate to the ones you need changing. When found, right click on the 1033 file in the tree menu and click on replace resource, select your new icon and the icon will be replaced.

Hope this helps... I used reshack to modify my system properties screen and control panel icons.

November 5, 2009 3:04:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@ Lantec

I think you will find that a great many experienced, as well as a great many wise, potential buyers of products will use associated forums as a means to guage an applications performance prior to any purchase.

On that basis I consider my input at least as of interest to those people. Although I'm sure your galant intervention was well ment.

November 8, 2009 7:13:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Lantec,
borednomore.......this is the Support forum. Unlsess you have something usefull to add related to the OP please move on.

http://forums.wincustomize.com/328594

Lantec, I thought borednmore had something useful to add. And unless you're a Stardock moderator perhaps you should move on.

November 8, 2009 7:27:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Lantec is a moderator as shown by the Moderator badge under his name.

November 8, 2009 7:36:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Lantec, I thought borednmore had something useful to add. And unless you're a Stardock moderator perhaps you should move on.

@Vlodec: Just what about this is unclear to you?

Lantec is clearly a Moderator. He is also a good one. It was nice of him not to respond.

*edit. While I was making the screenshot, Neil responded.

November 8, 2009 1:21:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

@Vlodec: Just what about this is unclear to you?

Lantec is clearly a Moderator. He is also a good one. It was nice of him not to respond.

*edit. While I was making the screenshot, Neil responded.

For reasons I can't guess at the moderator badge doesn't show up on my screen. I still agree with borednmore, and feel Lantec to have been out of order. Bored was reprimanded for being critical. Had he praised Stardock there would have been no "move on" rebuke.

In any case I've said my piece now.

November 8, 2009 2:12:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I still agree with borednmore, and feel Lantec to have been out of order. Bored was reprimanded for being critical. Had he praised Stardock there would have been no "move on" rebuke.

No, Vlodek. He was told about the rules for the Support Forum. The same ones you and I are violating now with this "conversation". I am responding this once only to explain why to you and to illustrate in public why it should not occur.

March 29, 2010 3:45:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

any news about this ?

i have the same prob with ip 5 and win7 x64 

thanks

April 13, 2010 12:17:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same problem here. Any solution? Windows 7 x64

April 13, 2010 1:20:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Same problem here. Any solution? Windows 7 x64

July 7, 2011 5:02:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

I am having this very issue using IconPackager 5 on Windows 7 x64. Is there a remedy for this?

August 19, 2011 9:02:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same problem here as well..working for most folders, except the ones in my Win7 (64) start menu. Please advise of any answers...

August 19, 2011 9:14:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting dkummerle,
Same problem here as well..working for most folders, except the ones in my Win7 (64) start menu. Please advise of any answers...

Open IP and go to settings. Under "Include Icon Sections" make sure you have Start Icons checked.

As for the other bug of not always displaying the correct folder icons....it's still there.

June 16, 2012 5:58:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I can confirm that it still doesn't work in iconpackager 5.10.032

I have changed all my windows folder/library icons and very happy with it

But... for example, when opening media player classic > file > open (to choose a file to open) - this window still features the old icons, not my applied ones.

It's a small price to pay until it's fixed IMO, not as easy to customize as linux but this is pretty close for windows. Great product. I'm using Win7 Ultimate x64 by the way.

Sam.

July 17, 2012 7:19:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My problem is that some of the packages won't change the folders. The folders remain windows 7 default folders. What I have done for now, until they get the bug fixed, is under "Look and Feel", I go to "Live Folders" and choose the second(middle) option which states:

"If the Icon Package has Live Folder icons defined then use it, otherwise use the Live Folder icons selected below."

I choose a folder style that's my favorite and then that basically becomes the default for any packages where this bug is a problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+