Stardock

Why download My Colors with each new My Colors Theme?

By on July 12, 2008 6:49:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

gardenerstouch

Join Date 02/2005
+8

If My Colors is already installed on the host machine, why does it need to download the entire thing again just to download a new My Colors Theme? For those on dialup, fixing this would be a most welcome change. Besides, why choke the internet with uneeded bits? 

Or on second thought, has this already been fixed, and the reason My Colors downloaded this time is because it was also downloading an upgrade?
6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 12, 2008 7:08:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
*stay calm scorp,stay calm* nup i gotta go chop some wood..brb

1/2 an hr later

OK i'm back

*sits in zen position while soothing music plays in background while doing breathing exercises*

The my colors you have installed does'nt re-download itself it only gets the the theme components
i.e windowblind,icons,walls,widgets etc.The size of my colors in add/remove is around 20mb yes well the quest d/l is only 16mb most of which is the blind of 11mb.
July 12, 2008 7:51:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yes with an update you have to install the whole thing.
July 12, 2008 11:32:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Because MyColors isn't Windowblinds. It is completely standalone. So if you never heard of WB but you wanted to have that Camo desktop theme, you'd get it and the software to install it. That may be the only one you ever purchased (for some, that's the case...but they haven't caught the bug yet).
July 12, 2008 11:34:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Scorp, sorry I got you all out of sorts over my question, and thanks for your prompt reply. It will keep my own mind in sorts the next time I get a new theme coming over the transom.   
July 13, 2008 1:19:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I believe the monkey has it !!

Each my colors is a stand alone version of WB and verious items, so in turn each new skin/suite will run its installer to update the already installed Mycolors manager, if it is already installed.  If not it installs all needed items to run the suite/skin.
July 15, 2008 9:39:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
You can just open the MyColors ThemeManager, click Add Registration, enter your serial number/registry info for that theme.

If you don't have the MyColors ThemeManager installed, then it downloads MyColors ThemeManager as well,  you don't download it everytime you get a new theme... unless you uninstalled the MyColors ThemeManager.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+