Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

downloaded DeskScapes {free}

By on July 4, 2008 10:14:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

King91

Join Date 07/2008
I downloaded the DeskScapes from the official website and when i was installing it, it said "it cant find vista..when it was being installed on vista..

Other question is that, do you HAVE to buy the program to get the animated wallpapers/backgrounds to wok?

and what is the DeskScapes[free] for if its there on the website.
13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 4, 2008 6:54:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
The "free" version is a  preview to show you how it works. But if you want to play other dreams (like the ones in the dream gallery) then yes you need to purchase it.
July 4, 2008 9:13:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
You need to install the preview if you do not have the Ultimate edition of Vista.

The free version, 1.02, is only for the Ultimate Edition and you will get the "cant find vista" message if you try to install it on anything else.
July 5, 2008 3:58:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Likewise, I believe if you try 2.0 on ultimate you get same problem. At least I'm told that by friends. Can't verify as I have object desktop and don't feel like uninstalling registered deskscapes 2.0 for unregistered.
July 18, 2008 7:06:00 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I received at email saying that DeskScapes 2 was now available for all versions of Vista and that Ultimate users would continue to get it for free. And installed versions 2 on my Windows Ultimate machine and when I tried to change the dream it told me that I had to buy it to do this.
July 18, 2008 7:38:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
mrochester, it sounds like you installed the Deskscapes 2.0 Preview version.

You need to uninstall it and download and install DeskScapes 1.02. It's the free version for Vista Ultimate.
July 21, 2008 11:43:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
mrochester, it sounds like you installed the Deskscapes 2.0 Preview version. You need to uninstall it and download and install DeskScapes 1.02. It's the free version for Vista Ultimate.

No. The eMail says that Deskscapes 2.0 is free for Ultimate Users

eMail text passage:

DeskScapes 2.0, now available on all versions of Windows Vista not just Windows Ultimate,supports playing video as animated wallpaper, dynamically generated content as animated wallpaper, and more. (Windows Ultimate users can still download DeskScapes 2.0 for free.)

But the "free Deskscape 2.0"-Download-Link for Ultimate users is nowhere to find.

July 30, 2008 1:47:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
No. The eMail says that Deskscapes 2.0 is free for Ultimate UserseMail text passage:
DeskScapes 2.0, now available on all versions of Windows Vista not just Windows Ultimate,supports playing video as animated wallpaper, dynamically generated content as animated wallpaper, and more. (Windows Ultimate users can still download DeskScapes 2.0 for free.)
But the "free Deskscape 2.0"-Download-Link for Ultimate users is nowhere to find.

I am looking for the free link for Vista Ultimate Users, too. I received the same e-mail; but, I am not able to locate a link for the new version.

I had downloaded StarDock Central at one point, erroneously believing I would be able to manage "updates" to my DeskScapes through it - since I do own Vista Ultimate and qualify for the purchase version for free... When I launch StarDock Central, I am prompted to update to Ver.2.0; however, I receive an error that my copy is not registered. When I click on the link to retrieve my registration codes, I receive an e-mail indicating the only product I have registered is StarDock Central.

I had read in one post that the current link for Ultimate users would automatically redirect to the updated file. I downloaded the file; and, it's the same exact file as I originally downloaded and installed (Ver.1).

I had read in one post that download.com has Version 2; however, that link appears to be a freeware version - which I am not confident is the same as the full version I would get by having Vista Ultimate.

Have they pulled "Free for Vista Ultimate Users Full Version"? If it is actually truly available - as indicated in the e-mail message I received, please point me in the right direction to download it.

Thanks!!!
/lys

BTW: This is what my "about" DeskScapes shows as of tonight...

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
DreamControl.dll 8/21/2007 23:14:32 PM v1.02 (#105)
DesktopControlPanel.dll 8/21/2007 22:37:22 PM v1.02 (#105)
WallpaperPage.dll 8/22/2007 20:39:46 PM v1.02 (#105)
DreamTasks.exe 8/21/2007 22:37:16 PM v1.02 (#105)
DreamSwitcher.exe 8/21/2007 22:37:20 PM v1.02 (#105)
DreamThumbnails.dll 8/8/2007 17:54:20 PM v1.02 (#104)
DeskScape.dll 9/5/2007 20:53:52 PM
DeskScapes.dll 9/5/2007 21:03:42 PM
Activate.exe 7/12/2007 1:21:42 AM
d3dx9_30.dll 7/12/2007 1:21:42 AM
d3dx9_32.dll 7/12/2007 1:21:42 AM
July 30, 2008 2:09:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
mrochester, it sounds like you installed the Deskscapes 2.0 Preview version. You need to uninstall it and download and install DeskScapes 1.02. It's the free version for Vista Ultimate.No. The eMail says that Deskscapes 2.0 is free for Ultimate UserseMail text passage:DeskScapes 2.0, now available on all versions of Windows Vista not just Windows Ultimate,supports playing video as animated wallpaper, dynamically generated content as animated wallpaper, and more. (Windows Ultimate users can still download DeskScapes 2.0 for free.)But the "free Deskscape 2.0"-Download-Link for Ultimate users is nowhere to find.

I think that might have been a typo. Ultimate users don't need 2.0, you can use 1.02. Deskscapes 2.0 is just so users of the other version of Vista can run dreams too.
July 31, 2008 6:36:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
thanks
August 2, 2008 8:51:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Ultimate users do get 1.0.2 for free however you HAVE to use 2.0 in order to play dreams such as water.dream, the free ultimate 1.0.2 version does not come with many dreams as standard!

Even so with the upgraded 2.0 version I am using, we are currently awaiting an update to fix the dynamic content, if you install the free ultimate version (for vista ultimate users) you do not get water dream or any of the stardock ones as standard, for example: Shark Pool, Grassy Field, Water Dream etc.

If you want a selection you need to install the 2.0 version and manually search and download the stardock free ones.
June 9, 2010 6:52:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

is there free version of deskscape for vista home premium user?

June 9, 2010 7:02:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No the free version was only free for Vista Ultimate users as MS DreamScenes was part of that.

June 9, 2010 9:20:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is a 30 trial of deskScapes 3 you can check out. It's the next best thing to free.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+