Stardock

Need help with Editors

By on May 8, 2008 12:47:35 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

crow_t_robot

Join Date 02/2006
+1

I don't know where to save a improvement when I make one or how to get the tech tree editor to use my improvements. I also have problems with the ship editor. I wish there was some sort of tutorial on these but I couldn't find one.

Plese help me out here because if I don't ever know how to use them I'll feel a little ripped. ( 

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 8, 2008 12:08:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
New improvements just need to be saved to (Game location)\Mods\YourModName\Data\PlanetImprovements. The tech tree editor doesn't really have anything to do with improvements, so I'm not sure what you mean about that. And if you have issues with the ship editor, you'll also need to be specific about them to get any help.
May 8, 2008 12:18:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The tech tree editor doesn't really have anything to do with improvements, so I'm not sure what you mean about that.

I meant making a unique tech tree with it's own unique improvements.

And if you have issues with the ship editor, you'll also need to be specific about them to get any help.

It's not any direct problem, I just don't know how to use them effectively. Thats why I wish there was a tutorial.
May 8, 2008 12:28:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I meant making a unique tech tree with it's own unique improvements.

Not really anything special to it. Just make your tech tree, and set the prereq on your new improvements to techs from your new tree when you make those (best have both editors up at once so you can just copy the internal names over for that).

The ship editor is not for editing ships themselves, but the components (GC2Types.xml). There's a tab for each possible type of component.
May 8, 2008 7:02:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I have to agree that the editors suffer from missing manual syndrome big time and I speak as an IT professional with 10 years experience of programming and application integration.

The main problem is your failure to properly explain what some values mean or how the file structure works.

Where do I save my custom tech tree? Improvements, ship components, etc.

Where do I find the standard one's, after searching about for a while I found the standard races tech trees, but have now given up until some one creates some sort of semi- helpful documentation.

Hopefully if Stardock don't fancy it some fans with a lot of time on their hands will produce the missing manuals for you.

I generally have nothing but praise for Stardock, but although the editors look good and have a lot of good functionality the file structure is obtuse and not explained and some values you can set in some of the editors are also ambiguous and unexplained, I think you guys have dropped the ball by not producing Editor Manuals.
May 9, 2008 11:16:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Where do I find the standard one's, after searching about for a while I found the standard races tech trees, but have now given up until some one creates some sort of semi- helpful documentation.

The stickied modding guide is still there in the modding forum. The editors provide a UI to shield users from the XML and potential crash issues due to typos and syntax errors, but you've still got to edit those same values as you would doing it by hand. There's really not much way around that.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+