Stardock

system tray

By on March 16, 2008 12:50:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

davio28

Join Date 01/2003
iam really pissed at this after buying objectdock and finding out that it doesnt work for supporting system tray icons in vista.  especially when it says its vista ready!!!!! Vista ready my ass what kinda product is this????  ill tell you what kind its shite doesnt even do what it says on the label!!!

i want my $20 back
20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 16, 2008 7:26:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
With me also it dosint work with vista,
even with xp it works on time then it stop showing any thing.

i find this docklet ,it works with me in vista.

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=3916&libid=29

its shows the systemtray icon in a docklet,
i hope it will help you.

sorry for my english
March 23, 2008 8:39:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Are we talking about 64-bit version of Vista? What version of ODP are you using?

Giving some info along those lines would sure help
April 2, 2008 11:06:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Object Dock does support system tray icons in Vista. Did you uninstall the trial before installing the Plus version? If not the two are conflicting with each other. I'm not sure but I am fairly certain it works in 64bit as well. I will try it out on a test machine tomorrow morning.
April 3, 2008 9:10:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
It doesn't work for me, I specifically got the plus version for the system tray support, but it doesn't work. I uninstalled the free version before installing the plus version, and I run Vista x32
April 5, 2008 9:47:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Doesn't work for me either.

I have Vista 32 SP1.
April 5, 2008 9:59:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
well works fine for me i run vista 32 sp1.never had a problem??????????????????????????????????????? try reinstalling as admin.
April 6, 2008 2:14:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Running as admin should fix the trobule for you. If you are unable to do so it is possible to just run the software as admin. Simply right click on the .exe then go to properties. There can set just that program to run as admin for the same results.
April 6, 2008 5:57:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I already try to run as admin, install as admin, run with windows XP SP2 compatibility and i have UAC disabled.

Thx anyway.
April 6, 2008 10:29:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Then it leads me to belive it might be a SP1 problem. Anyone else that has this problem dealing with it on Vista SP1?
May 16, 2008 8:43:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I do, i have the exact same problem, the sys tray tab doesn't show anything. I have OD+ 1.90 and Vista Home pre. SP1
May 16, 2008 11:37:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I have let our Q&A department in on this issue. I wasn't able to replicate this same problem but I did pass along was what happening here. If we find the problem I will post some more information.

A few quick questions and suggestions. 1) 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? 2) Video drivers up to date?
May 18, 2008 12:20:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I remember a post a little while back confirming that the systray support is broken on pirated versions of OD+. Not to accuse anyone having this problem of being a pirate, just something to consider.

Also, a few things to try:
1. System tray support is available on the Tabbed docks by adding a new system tray tab.

2. On the plain (non-tabbed) docks, under the "Dock Contents" section there is a toggle to either display the taskbar icons ("Display open windows...", or the systray icons ("Display system tray icons...").

3. In Dock Settings -> Troubleshooting Options, make sure that the "Temporarily disable ObjectDock's System Tray ability" option is not checked.
May 21, 2008 8:27:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I remember a post a little while back confirming that the systray support is broken on pirated versions of OD+. Not to accuse anyone having this problem of being a pirate, just something to consider.Also, a few things to try:1. System tray support is available on the Tabbed docks by adding a new system tray tab.2. On the plain (non-tabbed) docks, under the "Dock Contents" section there is a toggle to either display the taskbar icons ("Display open windows...", or the systray icons ("Display system tray icons...").3. In Dock Settings -> Troubleshooting Options, make sure that the "Temporarily disable ObjectDock's System Tray ability" option is not checked.

I have tried all your suggestions with no results... the system tray simply does not appear either in system tray tab or with the "system tray option" in dock contents...
I'm very dissapointed since this was the main reason to purchase this software and now I have to use a docklet instead of a built in feature...
I'm using WinXP SP2 and OD+ 1.9 version 535u
May 22, 2008 3:47:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Trying to activate system tray only yields this message under Vista64 SP1:

System tray functionality is not currently available for 64-bit versions of Windows. This feature will be added in a future release - Thank you for your patience.

Would have been nice to know this before purchasing OD+.

Anyway, the question now is, which future release and when can we expect it?
May 27, 2008 9:03:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Trying to activate system tray only yields this message under Vista64 SP1:System tray functionality is not currently available for 64-bit versions of Windows. This feature will be added in a future release - Thank you for your patience.Would have been nice to know this before purchasing OD+.Anyway, the question now is, which future release and when can we expect it?

Actually, going here WWW Link, scrolling down and clicking on the System Requirements tab would show that so far there's only 32-bit official support
May 27, 2008 11:14:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Please write into support and let us do some more in depth look into your problem here. Regardless of the website I have Object Dock Plus installed on my 64bit Vista work machine with out trouble. We will be happy to get to the bottom of this problem for you.

To just be certain make sure that you are up to date on video drivers and please be sure to include if you are on SP1 or not.
May 28, 2008 4:29:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Requirements tab would show that so far there's only 32-bit official support

Thats debatable. The page says "What is required". It does not say "Parts of OD+ will not work under a 64bit OS". At best, that page is unclear. Why mention in the application itself that only this particular function (which is not present in free OD and thus cant be tested...) does not work under Vista64 but not on the system requirements page?

Point is, being are up front with what works and what doesnt or at least clearly state that certain functionality is not available for certain OS' goes a long way. I couldnt find either statements outside the application so far...

May 28, 2008 11:12:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I don't think an official update to the website will be in order until an official update to the software is completed.

Official or not I have several testing machines on 64bit Vista as well as several people in the building using it effectively so I am certain through support we can help you out with out much trouble at all.

Nineven, davio28, mkm995, Khaostheory, rcond, Kloeti - I don't have the Plus version listed for any of your accounts. If you post under a different account than your purchase account then please contact us further through support@stardock.com. However if you are using the free or pirated copy then you have not yet had access to several of the Vista updates that are presented in the current beta of Object Dock Plus. This is likely to be the cause of the issue. This is also not an accusation by any means, just a statement letting you know the facts.
June 1, 2008 4:07:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Seabass, can you check my account again, see if it's linked? I have registered my OD+ with Impuse and download the beta version, it works. The system tray indeed show up, i'm a happy man now ^^.
June 4, 2008 9:47:25 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Under the listed email here Khaos I don't see Object Dock Plus. Can you PM me any info I can look up for you? Like a serial number or other email address?
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000875   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+