Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Object Dock Tray Question

By on April 17, 2007 11:38:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Foobie

Join Date 04/2007
I found that between the start menu support and object dock tray Object Dock Tray i can finally get rid of vista's task bar.

However, I notice that object dock tray hasn't been updated in some time. Has there been any thought of absorbing this (or something like it) into the object dock product itself?

16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 1, 2007 6:12:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Hi!

I got a question that's quite similiar to yours.
Object Dock Tray is updated: http://nimix13.ni.funpic.de/tray/index.htm
But has changed a bit. Not to the better I would say.

My problem is: I can't get the systray register to work. Everytime I add a new one, it doesn't show anything. I tried the workaround with the startup stuff... but doesn't show any effect, though the processes are running!They belong to Stardock Central... that might be the problem. I just want to use Object Dock, that's it!
I would like to have my tray icons all in line in one register. As I'm using XP Pro, I really don't know where the problem is...

Can anyone help me please?
May 1, 2007 6:25:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
into the object dock product itself?

System tray support is one of the features of ObjectDock Plus.

king.dave, the tray docklet you are using/have linked to is not made by Stardock. Try contacting the author of the docklet.
May 1, 2007 6:31:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I notice that object dock tray hasn't been updated in some time.

It is a docklet made by Nimix, a contributor to WC, not by Stardock, if Nimix has not upgraded to Vista he would not be able to update docklet to work with Vista.
May 1, 2007 8:12:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
System tray support is one of the features of ObjectDock Plus.

Yepp, I know. This is what I'm talking about. I have a problem with the "tray tab", which isn't working at all

I can't find out, what it is...
May 2, 2007 7:25:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I have same problem. the "tray tab" doesn't work.
My OS is 2003
May 2, 2007 8:07:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Yepp, I know. This is what I'm talking about.

If you have OD+ you don't need a tray docklet...

The typical way to do it is to create a new (zoomer) dock and select the option to display tray items in that dock. Alternatively, I believe you can create a new tray tab on a tabbed dock (I've only seen this a long time ago on the default install hence my 'believe' qualification)...

May 4, 2007 12:04:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Dude... I have OB+

That's why I'm asking. Maybe somebody knows, what the problem is, if the tray tab and also the tray dock don't show anything.

This is why I have to use Object Dock Tray, as described above.

Well, to put it simple: The tray tab and tray dock as a funktion of OB+ DO NOT WORK!
May 4, 2007 4:18:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
I have just upgraded to OD+ 1.9, first manually, then through an uninstall and install via Stardock Central. I have this same problem -- nothing displays in System Tray tab. And nothing seems to make (allow?) the System Tray tab to display what's running. None of the suggestions I can find in the SD forum have worked. But SysTray worked fine with 1.5 4-1/2 hours ago. Does anyone know for sure if SDMCP.exe should be running in XP Task Manager with 1.9? Or is SDCent~1.exe supposed to replace it? Seems to be a lot of this going around so far . . .
May 4, 2007 5:25:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Does anyone know for sure if SDMCP.exe should be running in XP Task Manager with 1.9?

Yes, it is for me.
May 4, 2007 5:54:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Reply • Quote king.daveMay 4, 2007 12:04:34Reply #7
Dude... I have OB+

That's why I'm asking. Maybe somebody knows, what the problem is, if the tray tab and also the tray dock don't show anything.

This is why I have to use Object Dock Tray, as described above.

Well, to put it simple: The tray tab and tray dock as a funktion of OB+ DO NOT WORK!

just so we're all clear are you saying OB+ {which would be Object Bar} or OD+ {which would be Object Dock}?

Do you have the enable notification area support checked in StarDock Central?
Do you have sdmcp.exe running?
May 5, 2007 12:19:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
For v1.9 of OD+, I do not have SDMCP running, nor either of the MCP options checked in SDC.

For the most part it is working fine with the following exceptions:
Multiple copies of the netwrok adapter icon (this has been there forever & doesn't really worry me) and a new one: the Microsoft Defender icon only appears if I manually turn it off then on again in the MSD config. If I just exit OD+ it's there in the Windows tray.

From what I remember reading (by Jeff!) in another thread on this is that the tray handling in OD+ is now independant of SDMCP which is now only required for ObjectBar.

May 6, 2007 7:57:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
the Microsoft Defender icon only appears if I manually turn it off then on again in the MSD config.

Talking to myself...  

It's just made a liar out of me - the Windows Defender icon appeared about 10min after the system booted today!

May 8, 2007 11:37:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Problem solved(?) Appears so, anyway. After uninstalling both Stardock Central and Objectdock 1.9, I discovered that I still didn't have all my icons in the System Tray. Found XP Knowledgebase article 84571 that seems to address that problem.

Short version: It appears that SDDP Discovery Service (UnP&P) can screw up what goes into the systray. Which in turn seems to screw up OD+ 1.9 System Tray. Disable SDDP service.

After disabling SDDP and doing a clean install of OD+ and adding a systray tab (and rebooting), I now have OD+1.9 looking like it did before I upgraded from 1.5. And, as the feature list on Stardock Central says, the SDMCP process isn't needed with 1.9 -- at least it doesn't show in Task Manager. Note, I'm not running the extra overhead of SDC; everything seems fine.

Hope this helps others who can't get the System Tray tab to work properly.
May 9, 2007 6:16:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
wilrex,
Your solution did not work for me. Sadly.

I upgraded to OD+ 1.9 to see if it has fixed an issue with Media Monkey (in which several icons of MM are shown in the tray bar), but now OD+ did not show any icon. It is completely blank, which make the Plus side of it completely useless.

If this issue is not going to be fixed in future patch then I might keep with the free version of OD.

ps: this MM vs OD+ tray icon issue is also on Media Monkey forum here.
May 18, 2007 1:16:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Yeah, it stopped working for me too! Now, sometimes I have items in the SysTray, sometimes I don't. Haven't been able to detect a pattern, much less a cause and effect.

I'm not using Media Monkey, nor anything else that should cause the SysTray icons to disappear. They are, at least, in the Win XP systray so can be accessed. But as you say, this wipes out a lot of the reason to use OD+, and it sure feels like a bug!

May 18, 2007 1:30:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
For me, the ActiveSync icon in the systray sometimes is there, and sometimes is not, just a blank space in the systray which, when clicked on, brings up the linked ActiveSync window. I don't have an ActiveSync shortcut in any of my three docks...go figure. I just work around it, as AS runs when I plug in my IPAQ and the systray icon does its green and rotating thing then. Curiouser and curiouser Oh, yeah, running latest version of OD+ via SDC upgrades, and WIN XP PRO SP2
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000782   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+