Stardock

Wincustomize Download Guide

Need help with something you downloaded? Try here!

By on January 18, 2007 3:31:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+593

It seems like everyday someone comes into IRC or makes a forum post and asks....."I downloaded this file from WinCustomize, how do I make it work?"  Well I thought it was time to write a guide to let our members know what to do when they download a file from WinCustomize.

When you click to view a gallery in WinCustomize, the gallery you select will have a description telling you which software (if any) you need to use for that particular download.  The screenshot below highlights the description area.

In the screenshot above I am in the DesktopX theme gallery.  It gives you a brief description of the gallery and links to the product page required for that download.  So basically whatever gallery you are browsing, the description and links at the top of the page should tell you what software you will require.

Here is some of the more common files and their associated programs.  Click the links to find out more information about the product.

When downloading a skin, theme, wallpaper, etc. from WinCustomize, always be sure to read the authors description.  People will often include important information in their description such as a specified resolution for a DesktopX theme.

If you need an explanation of what some of these applications do, and then here is a series of articles on how to change your desktop theme.

If you still need help, always feel free to post to our forums, join us in IRC, or visit the WinCustomize Wiki.

Pinned Post 44 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 11, 2009 2:32:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

how do i add a bootskin to the list?
In Vista they go in Public Documents/Stardock/Bootskin/Skins

September 11, 2009 2:43:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i tryed that but it doesnt appear on the list

September 11, 2009 3:08:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting pkboy-,
i tryed that but it doesnt appear on the list
Do you have the Bootskin programme installed?

Vista http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

September 11, 2009 3:14:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dreams and Screensavers based on mpg files need a mpg codec to work or you will get a black screen or a message from MS saying you are missing a codec. Vista Ultimate is the only windows with default mpg support as it is used in DreamScenes but many movie type programs like PowerDirector install one and purchased DivX with extensions installs one too so many people have one already. One is not installed with Deskscapes or with .Dreams so if you are missing it it is your responsibility to get one. XP media Centre does not have one by default. Search for mpg codec and it is best to get a MS approved one and not one in a multi-codec pack - these can destroy other MS approved codecs, especially ffdshow and it takes over all files it can open and it is bad at many of them. It will stop TMPGEnc from doing a good loop when making dreams in mpg as well.

Do not leave comments on Dreams or ScreenSavers that all you get is a blank screen - get your codecs sorted; Dreams and ScreenSavers have been through moderation and do work if your system is up to scratch and you have the necessary codecs.

September 13, 2009 7:01:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Vista Ultimate is the only windows with default mpg support

Vista Home Premium comes with built in mpeg support also.

March 9, 2010 4:18:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a simple one hopefully, can someone tell me why my Windowblinds skins are downloading the files straight to my desktop (severly clogging it)? As a note, it does download to Windowblinds and is available for use, but the actual files seem to copy to my desktop.

I don't see a way to do a copy as, or direct the files to another location and with all the files it adds (30-40 for each skin) I definitely don't want to drop and drag into a folder each time.

Any ideas? Running Windowblinds 7 on a Windows XP system.

thx

jaz

March 9, 2010 4:27:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

great post, ID

March 11, 2010 11:22:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sniff, I guess it isn't that great of a post, no one is answering it.

March 11, 2010 11:43:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jasmine Rogers you may want to start a new post and call it - Windowsblinds downloading to my desktop - or something like that than ask the same thing you did here.

March 11, 2010 11:45:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jasmine Rogers,
Sniff, I guess it isn't that great of a post, no one is answering it.

The orginal thread is from January 18, 2007 3:31:26 PM.   

That may have just a little to do with it.

March 11, 2010 12:44:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'am amazed that people didn't already know that, but this post should help many.  I'll bet we'll still get posts and irc questions.

March 11, 2010 4:15:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Got it, will do. I run a ticket queue at my company as well and typically we try not to open new tickets if we can reply to a related issue, but I'll open a new one in this case; since as you said, this one's pretty old.

thx

jaz

March 11, 2010 4:44:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i just added this to favourites, i still get heaps of questions about how to use cursor fx and windowblinds.

August 25, 2010 12:25:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi, I´m new using Windowblinds. I have tryed some themes and have seem very good things. But now, I saw something that I don´t now if I can use it whit Windwblinds. What I want to know is: which PRGRAM  I need for use a SCREENSHOT. I want to use the SCREENSHOT of this link  http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/screenshots/26632/.

I will thank any help!!!

August 26, 2010 5:00:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

vimadimo,

you will need to get Winstep Nexus  <<--- Link

January 13, 2013 2:13:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ummm this doesn't help at all. everything says open or download zip now and then what? i have  object desktop with everything and it isn't helping. i can't download anything now.

January 13, 2013 2:22:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting hip3,
ummm this doesn't help at all. everything says open or download zip now and then what? i have  object desktop with everything and it isn't helping. i can't download anything now.

I responded to you in your other post.

January 13, 2013 3:31:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To all those lost souls having install troubles. hang in there. You are doing what you need to do, read, learn, read, learn. disregard the hate, keep at it , ask more questions, help is around and will show up like above. Practice is key to becoming an self reliant computer user.. It is never as hard as it appears. just keep at it.

January 13, 2013 4:23:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sage advice DoorTech1. Have some this and some this

Full yet?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+