Stardock.com ‚Äč

Dial Up connection icon

Is this possible

By on September 4, 2006 3:55:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

lsdmeasap

Join Date 01/2006
I am on dial up and have been trying to figure out how to add my diall connection icon to my dock. I am using 1.30 plus
I have tried draggin my icon to it, but it wont work. It will go there and even have the connect options, but will not connect it or dissconect it. Is there any easy way to do this or any special dock setup needed?
16 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 4, 2006 1:22:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I have my EL icon on my dock (dial up)
It doesn't connect automatically (unless you set your connection that way, I guess)
If I just click it I get the normal 'connect' box. Same as if I click it in the start or right click the tray and choose sign in.

If you have your dialup show in the systray, you can also add the Object Dock Tray. Adds a systray to the dock which also gives you the normal right click functions.
September 4, 2006 1:27:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Just curious, if you click your dial up icon normally (no OD), does it connect automatically?
September 4, 2006 2:05:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
To get my dial up to work from the dock, I have to open Network Connections, create a shortcut, and drag that to the dock.
September 5, 2006 3:24:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Yeah that is how I tried it, Draggin it there, and It will work, but when I delete it from the desktop, then it is incorrect shortcut? Seems funny why it woudl do that. But that is exactly what I want to do and then not have the icon on the desktop anymore.

Yeah I have my icon for dial up set to connect on click! It does work, but when I remove the dekstop icon for it then the dock one will not work either. I do not want the whole try idea, just to make the single icon to connect with.

Thanks for all your input guys, hope someone can figure this out for me!
September 5, 2006 3:27:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I think my best bet is to know wherre the actuall address of the connection is to make a whole new shortcut into my connections folder. But I cannot find it in the drop down menu when choosing shortcut properties.
September 5, 2006 12:17:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
nevermind, I rethought it
September 5, 2006 1:12:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
But I cannot find it in the drop down menu when choosing shortcut properties.

try 'browse'
September 6, 2006 1:40:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I do and it is not there! I said that!
my pc docs and all that but where in the dropdown menu is network connections?

I did look before asking, I feel stupid really cause I am sure, or was sure that it is something simple. But from the looks of the responses it is not.
September 6, 2006 2:19:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
but when I delete it from the desktop, then it is incorrect shortcut? Seems funny why it woudl do that. But that is exactly what I want to do and then not have the icon on the desktop anymore.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I move the shortcut to somewhere other than the desktop (My Documents for example), and then drag it to the dock.
September 6, 2006 2:21:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Finally close. I got network folder as a shortcut and it is a drop menu when clicked on, but I have several connections (vmware and such In that folder) It will connect when i click on dial up but Iam not able to dissconnect with this method! Nor can I make it only shortcut to the dial up connection, which is my dream! Hope someone can tell me how this can be done!

Thanks!
September 6, 2006 2:22:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Hmm Well let me try that out! Thanks!
September 6, 2006 2:27:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Hey wow, Thanks mate! Now to where to find a good AVI or animated icon so it shows blue when connected and grey when not! Or similar. As of right now on my desktop or now my documents the shorcut is the defualt XP one. And when on the dock it stay blue either way like it is connected. I would like to change it anyway because the icon does not look good on the dock. Is there a good animated one here soemwhere? If so and if not where is this at in my sys32 folder to change the defualt image? Hope you can help with this!

Thanks a ton for your help !
September 7, 2006 11:30:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Koasati, That worked putting it in my documents until reboot, then it did not work said unable to find link! Even when I re did it! Is there any other way of doing this?!\

Hope someone knows

Thanks!
September 13, 2006 1:20:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
September 16, 2006 11:42:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Thanks for that answer mezigzag, it helped a lot!

NOT!
September 17, 2006 3:05:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
dial-up? Seriously?
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+