Stardock
Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Help please; Taskbar is frozen! Please assist if possible

By on July 10, 2006 2:11:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

AnvariX

Join Date 07/2006
Hiya;

I've been using the ObjectDock free version for a few months now to great satisfaction, and finally decided to buy it, and upgrade to the full version. I did so, and installed everything just fine. Spent some time, creating a new bar, some fly-out menus and what not, and essentially got everything just the way I want it.

My problem is, after having restarted, the taskbar/start button/system tray area loads up, but is completely not functional. Instead, on mouseover, there is an hourglass symbol that refuses to go away. Most of the Systray icons don't show up, and if I open for example a browser, it doesn't show up in the taskbar. The taskbar is not set to be disabled, although I have toggled it on and off to attempt to rectify the problem. After having started up in Safe Mode twice and uninstalling/reinstalling the program, I can only conclude it is something to do with it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, somewhat disheartening to use the free version just fine, and then run into this trouble.

Thanks,
AnvariX
8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 10, 2006 3:01:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
If you have any docklets on dock they can sometimes cause issues, right click on dock, click dock settings, click advanced options, at bottom, check to temporarily disable docklets, click OK. If issue clears up, uncheck disable then one at a time remove docklets to find one that may be the problem.
July 10, 2006 3:12:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I've been in the same situation but i'm not sure if what i'm about to suggest is how i fixed it,it's caused by installing objectdock over itself??,strangely if you run your mouse near the top middle of the taskbar,but not on it and clik, it may reveal a dock there if so try to bring up the config by right cliking and move the dock to the top and deactivate the bottom positioning ??,if that does'nt work download ccleaner and install,then as before delete OD,once done go into program files and delete the folder then run the registry cleaner part of cc,only delete the registry entries that you recognise as object dock and any other uninstalled software and restart with any luck all will be fine and you can reinstall OD and it should behave,would'nt hurt to do a defrag before installing,failing that just wait for others to advise,i've seen a post like this before but could'nt find it anywhere to get the fix.
July 10, 2006 11:38:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Right well, good advice all around. I'll give those suggestions a try, and hopefully they'll end up working. Thanks in advance, and I'll be back to let everyone know what did/didn't work for me.
July 11, 2006 2:00:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
This may help stop objectdock at startup,ccleaner has a button clik on "tools" then clik "startup" that shows what will start with windows,you can use it to delete the objectdock start key,by rights it should disable it from starting and hopefully will unfreeze taskbar,i'm pretty sure the pro version was installed over the free version and that's what's causing it,so long as you delete all of objectdock from your comp things should be fine to start again,anyway just keep plugging away at it you should be able to fix it.
July 20, 2006 3:01:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Hey; thanks for all the replies guys; sadly I haven't had much luck so far. I completely uninstalled both the free and paid versions (granted, whenever I FIRST got the full version, I installed it over the free one... maybe that led to all of these problems...) I ran CCleaner and let it do it's thing, etc. I reinstalled the program and it seemed to be working fine; until I restarted my computer. Yet again, there is a small blue line to the immediate right of my Start button, and I get the hourglass over a frozen taskbar. It seems to happen once I restart my computer, after the program is installed. However, ObjectDock is NOT set to load at startup.

On a side note; I must not have deleted everything, because each time I reinstall the program, my bars that I created still load up just as they were. Obviously, that file still exists somewhere.

Any more ideas anyone? It's absolutly mind-boggingly frustrating. I loved this program in it's free version, and it's just so aggravating to have this occur with the paid version. I'm hoping to get it resolved...
July 20, 2006 11:55:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
I've been having similar problems. I installed ObjectDockPlus, WB, IP, IconX, CursorXP, all at the same time so I don't know which is causing the problems. Any time I install new software or updates or uninstall some software, I have difficulty restarting my computer. The Taskbar will freeze or the Taskbar/Explorer.exe will go into a constant shutdown and restart. Every 15 seconds. If I can open the task manager and Run SFC /Scannow and restart ususally that fixes the problem. Sometimes I have to do it twice. For now, I've been not restarting my computer, just hibernating at the end of the day. When I get more time, I'm planning to format and start all over.
July 20, 2006 1:05:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
AnvariX, I would suggest that you clear the cache for ObjectDock. This means unloading ObjectDock and then deleting the "ObjectDock" (and/or "ObjectDockPlus") folder found in "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Stardock" folder. The "Local Settings" folder is a hidden folder. Note - there is no folder named "cache", just folders bearing the relevant program's name which contain the cached user preferences. Clearing the cache for a program removes the user preferences and forces the program to load with the default settings. I wrote a mini tutorial on clearing the cache here: http://corkyo.wincustomize.com/Articles.aspx?AID=82461 With any luck, this should remove the loading of the former theme, and allow you start from scratch. I have not suggested saving your current theme before clearing the cache due to possible issues with the current theme. Once you have sorted the issue, you can set the dock(s) up in the way you want, and then save the theme. This will allow you to reload it if you ever need to clear the cache in the future.   
July 20, 2006 1:16:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Note - sorry, the spacing in my reply was lost after trying to correct the link to the mini tutorial.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002078   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+