Stardock

Galactic Civilizations II: Would you purchase a multiplayer expansion?

Poll results

By on May 17, 2006 4:58:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1100

The question we asked was, would you purchase a multiplayer only expansion pack that was $20.

Multiplayer expansion are nothing new.  Civilization III had one. Even the original Civilization had a multiplayer expansion. 

My own thoughts on a multiplayer expansion pack are ambiguous. Unlike an EA or Take 2 or any number of big publishers, Stardock's ability to get widespread retail space for an expansion pack for Galactic Civilizations II is a real challenge.

Hence, future expansion packs for Galactic Civilizations II are likely to be digital-only.  This way, the retail version of Galactic Civilizations II can hold on to its space as long as we can and people who want more can come here to get it.

Which brings us back to what exactly should be in an expansion pack.  We plan to make multiple expansion packs. One of the mistakes we made with the first GalCiv was that we only made one and users made it clear to us that they would have liked to have seen more.  So this time we will make sure we do that.

The first expansion pack would come out this Fall.  The second one next year. It would be that second expansion pack that we have to finalize what features for that could potentially be mostly about multiplayer.

When one thinks of an expansion pack, think of is like designing a ship in GalCiv II.  We have 5 slots. Multiplayer would eat up at least 3 of those slots, more likely 4 slots.

So the question really boils down to, are there OTHER features you would prefer to have instead of multiplayer.  This multiplayer poll won't be the last one on the subject.  But the results make it clear that there isn't a huge outcry for a multiplayer expansion.

I think most people are of the opinion that they'd happily by an expansion pack that included multiplayer if it had lots of other features. But that's not how these things work out. Multiplayer is a huge feature so other features would have to be taken out.

Once the first expansion pack comes out, we can then look at what might go into a second expansion pack (including multiplayer) and put the question up as to which features would people want the most.

249 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 20, 2008 4:17:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
the real isn't isn't "would you buy multiplayer if you could?" the real issue is "would you prefer SD devote its resources to multiplayer in lieu of other features?" and the answer to that question was an overwhelming, "no, focus on other features."

Yes, that's the bad part about this.
An extra team would be great for this, but that's just impossible.

August 20, 2008 9:01:13 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
How about a new poll ? i'm sure the yes/no ratio will change drastically today.

It wouldn't really matter. This poll was started to know if they should devote their resources to implement an expansion for gc2 for multiplayer. Since there are no more expansions, it's irrelevant. 2.0's feature list is complete I'm sure and if it doesn't include multiplayer, then another poll would just be a waste of time.

Perhaps gc3 will have it...
August 20, 2008 9:21:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Multiplayer expansion are nothing new.  Civilization III had one. Even the original Civilization had a multiplayer expansion. 

Don't forget Commmand and Conquer had the Sole Survivor exspansion.
August 22, 2008 4:22:35 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I vote yes. Since it appears it won't likely get done, at least try to make it work on an internal network at home. With save features so you can stop and resume it later on. Would of read more pages, but for some reason I'm not seeing all the posts, even after numerous attempts. Read it a month ago and was going to provide a more in depth answer, but couldn't find my account login email or anything, so I just created a new one.
November 17, 2008 5:31:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It really doesn't matter what SD devotes it's resources to if multiplayer isn't added.  I purchased GC2 long ago with the hope that it would support multiplayer in the first patch.  GC2 has been sitting "on the shelf" unplayed since then... I'm still waiting.  GC2 is a very good game, I'd love to play it... could we please have multiplayer so it's worth playing? (and yes, I'm still more than willing to pay significantly for a good implementation with multiplayer.)

I'm afraid after two years of no multiplayer and now fuss that sounds like IE7 is required... well... I might not even consider Stardock games in the future (which is a shame because Stardock has always had some great talent).

November 17, 2008 6:20:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

IE7 is required for Impulse because it's less dev time and less headaches (read: getting shit to work properly) to code for something that's already there.  Since SD codes for Windows only, it's a safe assumption that IE is present.  IE7 is far superior to IE6, which by the way was required for SDC-or was that IE 5.5?  The point still stands.  This isn't something new.  And if you're still running IE6, upgrade already.

I would love to see a version of Impulse that wasn't .Net, but I don't imagine they'll be able to remove its reliance on IE7 any time soon, and I for one am okay with that.

If you simply won't play a game without multiplayer, then you might have to wait for GCIII, which as far as I'm aware should have it due to being based off of Elemental's engine (which is currently in development).  But that won't be for some time-2010 at the absolute earliest, probably 2011, maybe 2012.  I forget if there's a conjectured release date on here somewhere or not.

November 17, 2008 6:51:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Mithel:  Brad has already said on previous occasions that GalCiv2 won't be getting multiplayer (in either a patch or expansion), so I guess you'll have to wait for GC3. 

Now as to when *that* comes out is anyone's guess.  Brad's already stated that we won't see a GalCiv sequel until the next decade, which means 2011 at the very earliest.  Realistically speaking, I'd say 2012 or 2013 is more likely. 

November 18, 2008 12:36:44 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

i think it would be more important if the galciv series has elements of planetary and space tactical combat as well as elemetns of carrier fleets combat and oribital bombardments.  but then this would have to wait for Galciv 3.

November 19, 2008 6:54:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would vote yes.  Without a leap in AI programming by several orders of magnitude, playing against the computer is neither challenging, varied, or interesting.  The computer can't compete without getting handicaps.  The time and money spent on trying to improve AI to this level, even if it were possible, would take far more time and money than adding a simple multiplayer component.

I find it interesting how you keep harping on how many features would have to go by the wayside by implementing multiplayer, yet one of the first posts made after the release of GC2 noted you can get a quasi-hotseat game simply by activating a cheat which allowed you to take over another empire.  Is it really such a leap to have a true hotseat game? A PBEM game?  Seems like a stretch.  In any case the code seems trivial compared to overhauling the AI.

January 19, 2009 9:06:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think a multiplayer expancen would be a great idea. The problem is why pay for something you can not use unless your online. This game has lack MP for a long time. You should just give it as a free download Booster pack. I mean after all Civ 4 has a great MP option this game should as well. I Feel a Multiplayer Option is a must just make it a free booster.

January 20, 2009 6:28:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If Galciv 2 and future Galciv 3 gets any type of multiplayer, people on this forum ought never to complaint about the quality of it.  Here is why...anyone following the X3 Terran conflict/X-series games will know that on Egosoft forums, people are divided over whether any type of multi-players should be had in the game.  Well..the Egosoft devs has clearly stated that unless it is for making the X-series games to be an mmo, it would not be financially feasible to installed any kind of multiplayer in the current iteration of the X-games.  there are people on that forum who just begged to have some form of limited multiplayer like in freelancer or Freespace 1 or 2, and the devs still said "NO".  The other excuse was that because the X-series type of games, per each game, the game has its own self contained self-persistent universe, it would be an extremely difficult feat to pull off.  Hence any attempt at implementing any type of limited multiplayer, the amount of efforts having to be put in is the same as making another game from scratch.

And Brad is sosoo nice to even offer the suggestion of multiplayer and putting it to a vote.  Such considerate behaviour is just beyond awesome.  

February 15, 2009 1:15:00 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Please check the date on the original post.

I'm all for freedom of expression but.... there comes a point when a topic has run its course and.... unless you have something new to say, you're going boldy.... where many have trod before.

February 26, 2009 7:17:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I also wanted a IP - IP/Lan multiplayer option added. I have not and will not buy any expansion pack if Multi player is included.

If Multiplayer is included I would go back and buy all past expansions. Also I would introduce at least 2 people to the game, who would each buy at least the original game + additional content for multiplayer (possibly more content).

Lots of people here say wait or Galciv 3.

If Galciv 3 has online multiplayer, then I will not be buying it.  I want to play the game with 1 or 2 other people at a time, and I want games to take months to play. If Gal Civ 3 is online multiplayer, then the games will be shortened to suit. Ideally i want to play a single player designed game over IP -  IP. with firends. I do not not want balanced civs etc.

Is there any way Stardock would allow people outside of stardock to work on creating this style multiplayer for Galciv 2. Given the amount of interest i am sure some of the intrested parties are capable of doing this with the right access to the game.

June 5, 2009 10:48:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The problem here:

Most multiplayerfans already had left the galciv2 forum because the game has no multiplayer. so, i think its great when 33% of all the singleplayers want pay 20$ for a MP addon.

BTW.: one quistion: how much multiplayer we want to have?

We (me and my friends) just want to play together. So we dont fear cheaters. For us, we only need the possibility to play more races with humans. So we can play by hotseat or email and ftp (savegamesharing).

I think this Hotseatmode if very easy to build in. I think u only have to make an option that i can play with 2 or more races at the same time.

So i ask u: how much money do ju need to build this ?

This isnt a huge multiplaye addon, but i think much people would be lucky if the can use at least the hotseat mode.

U dont need anticheat, network protocols, servers and so on.

May be we can collect the money for this projekt.

I think stardock just thinks to big. just start with a very small MP.

I realy hope "the case of no multiplayer" isnt a dogma or a religion here.

Why we hear everytime that there are thinks that dont fit in multiplayer. All in galciv fits in multiplayer very well. We can play by mail f.e. No need of waiting for someone is ready to build up his nice new ship. Also the big events that bring one race a huge boost is okay. We want to play for fun. This game is a game for weeks, not for a 2 hour game. Believe me, there are people with friends out there...

Also much people here compare galciv with other games like Sins of a solar empire or X3. But this game is TURNBASED. No syncing problems, no need of powerfull internet connection, no ping problems, no disconnectproblems.

If other people think the same way, just send me an email, i collect all mails and will write an email to the edevelopers. Maybe we can pay for that addon if we get enough players.

wolf356[at]gmx.de

edit:

wow. 3000 singleplayerpeople voted here. So we just calculate:  33% are 990 people. 990*20 bucks are 19800 dollars. 19800 dollars if only the people which have seen the poll are buying that addon. 19800 dollars. just make a poll if the pay the 20$ for hotseat and email addon. I think 19800 dollars are enough to start this changes and distribute via impulse. I cant believe that a simple hotseatmode/emailmode needs more than 300 hours of development (if a developer get 60 bucks/per hour).

greets...

June 2, 2011 8:55:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hi, I'm big on multiplayer because humans do things you don't expect (atleast i do), i bought Galactic civ 2 dread lords gold edition on a whim and I loved it, bought the ultimate edition too and told my friend he should buy it so we can play multiplayer............................................................................................................................................................

Needless to say i was dissappointed that multiplayer wasn't part of galciv 2 ultimate edition but at the same time i should've checked, you say civ 3 and civ 1 didn't have multiplayer........... how old are they? i'm not sure i understand where the extra work is when putting multiplayer into a turn based game...... wouldn't it be like a human turn 1 - 8 or 12 turns in a row? (instead of some or all AI players) where is hot seat?

Yes, who am i to ask for multiplayer? i'm just a consumer that has bought multiple copies of stardock games such as sins of a solar empire (three versions of trinity, one of sins original one of diplomacy) and one elemental war of magic (waiting for its expansion but dissappointed it doesn't have great multiplayer otherwise my friends would buy it too) so i'm guessing that gives me twice or thrice the say of people who have only bought one or two stardock games. 

The most annoying thing is that galciv 2 would be a great turn based multiplayer game and one of the best out there, sometimes game Devs leave me scratching my head thinking "what the hell were they thinking?" (Conker's bad fur day on xbox is classic "what the Fu@k, why did the Devs change multiplayer completely instead of uping the graphics and ever so slightly altering game modes for online play?"..........

i can vouch for eight copies of multiplayer expansions (plus another six galciv 2 ultimate) to galciv 2 ultimate as long as the multiplayer is the same as single player in all ways but with multiple humans and AI instead of just AI.  that pie graph is a load of crap, three thousand people isn't a large enough sample group to base this off due to the way multiplayer works (two computers at my place plus five or six friends who would only buy a game of this type if it has good multiplayer) so there is seven to eight copies of galciv 2 ultimate plus multiplayer expansion............ that wont appear in your poll!

END OF RANT

June 3, 2011 1:29:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hooray, let's bump all the old threads concerning multiplayer, I'm sure that will persuade the dev team to put in double shifts trying to turn GalCiv into just another turn-based unit-spamming pile of rubbish.

I wouldn't play that rushed-out-the-gate game if you paid me to.

February 1, 2012 4:59:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As I don't play games on the internet I would have no use for multiplayer, at any price.

OTH I do buy your expansion packs when I see them on the shelf in a local store. I am very reluctant to buy on the internet. More particularly, when I buy software I want a disc so I will always have that game without any dependence on a supplier maintaining an internet presence. (eg I still play MOO2 and Civ2 although the producer, Microprose, no longer exists).

I bought GalCiv 1, Galciv 2 and a couple of expansions. I look forward to buying any more expansions you may care to produce and, when the time comes, GalCiv 3. Preferably from the shelf at a local store.

December 8, 2012 1:08:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

i would purchase a mp expansion but not a single player expansion... i would donate money for developing the mp expansion as well say 10 x the asking price ,  at least a hotseat please

December 11, 2012 1:59:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

¹

December 11, 2012 4:35:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

This topic is 6.5 years old, there hasn't been a real patch for GC2 in 3 years.  What does that tell you?

December 19, 2012 10:16:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

of course.I will

August 12, 2013 12:50:38 AM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Yes absolutely

August 12, 2013 8:23:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Cerberus_Z,

Yes absolutely

What need was there to necro this?

but while I am here:

Yes, but only if that was not the focus of the expansion.

August 12, 2013 10:57:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Seeing as the topic has been resurrected anyway: yes, provided it supports LAN.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002047   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+