Stardock.com ‚Äč

Resoring default icons. HELP!

By on April 22, 2006 12:29:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cody-7

Join Date 01/2005
Hi everyone,

i first started using IconPackager because i was having trouble restoring my default Windows XP icons. Well, IP solved the problem, until now.

I'm trying to restore my default WinXP icons and it just won't do it. After double-clicking the "Default Icons" in the package list, i click okay and then it throws my icons all over (Like it would when re-building icon cache) but then i still have all of the same icons i was just using. The only icons it will restore properly are the start menu icons (Such as My computer, My Documents, etc). Why would it not properly restore my icons? I'm sure many many people have had this problem before, but i would be greatful if you guys could help me as best you can

I'm using most recent version of IP, v3.1x. Thanks!
8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 22, 2006 1:10:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
IP may not help - it restores the defaults - BUT you said you were having trouble before, which is why you started using IP - if you changed your defaults to something else, I don't think IP can restore it to an earlier 'default'
April 22, 2006 2:33:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, when i mentioned "when i first started using IP" was long ago, i've since reformatted my PC.

When i open up the IP config window, it shows the default Windows XP icon pack selected. I believe it thinks i'm using the default icons right now
April 22, 2006 2:46:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
instead of double clicking have you tried clicking 'restore defaults'?
April 22, 2006 4:30:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Normal procedure:

Start IP > Tools menu > select "Restore all Icons" > click "Yes" to verify > click "OK" to apply restore.

After doing that, you can restore the default "Windows XP" theme (after unloading WindowBlinds) via the 'Display Properties\Themes tab\Theme list" and select Windows XP, then click "Apply".

This should restore the majority of the system icons, with the possible exception of ending up with say the ".doc" icon changed from a Word document icon to a WordPad document icon. This type of issue has been there since the release of IP 3.x, and I use the "Folder Options\File Types tab" dialog to restore the Word document icon.

If the above procedure does not work, you can try using the "Repair Icon Images" and "Rebuild Icon Cache" options in the IP Tools menu, again clicking "Yes" to confirm and "OK" to apply the changes.

If these do not work, then your original icon cache was probably corrupted prior to installing IconPackager, or you may have another program which has installed something like an "IconHandler" key in the registry under "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile" (normally, you will only have a "Default" key under this key).

April 23, 2006 8:19:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, after doing what you mentioned above, it's restored most of the start menu icons, and file types. But, the My Computer icons (such as hard drives, CD-drives) show the icon pack i was using. If you look at the screenshot ( Link ) it seems that Icon Packager knows what icons to apply, it just won't apply them.

I'll see if i can change an icon than restore the default afterwards. In the mean time, i'm open to any suggestions!
April 23, 2006 8:43:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
*UPDATE* Okay, I re-built icon cache, and told it to restore Windows defaults. Then i applyed another package, and THEN i applied the default Windows XP Package. That finally worked! I now have all my default icons.

I guess sometimes it takes so real persistance!
April 23, 2006 1:04:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Good news!
April 25, 2006 8:55:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Well, almost good news...

After i got it to restore default icons, there's still a few file types that won't change no matter how hard i try. XML files always show the default icon, and HTM icons keep showing up an icon from another pack! (Umicon pack, i believe). And JPGs, BMPs, PNG files will change, but i manually have to do it each time i restore default icons - or they show up as the default icon.

This is very strange! It seems that Icon Packager should simply tell windows which icon it needs to restore, i wouldn't know why it's not doing it for some of the icons.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000157   Page Render Time:
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+